Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Insturment cluster

pkmsmw · 2025-05-08 08:33

Having a problem with a cat 980k #w7k1862. The insturment cluster will not work. The machine starts ,and runs fine everything works bucket steering brakes. I have checked everything batteries, fuses, power, and ground. I work at used equipment parts company,and have access to replacement parts, so I have swapped the cluster,and cab ecm with other ones that are the same. No luck .has anyone had this problem ? Am i missing something simple. Thanks for any help.

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2025-05-14 14:54

    I think you may have to get ET hooked up to the machine to track down the root cause of the problem. Once ET is hooked up the first question is will it communicate with all the ECMs on the machine and are they all communicating with each other.?

  2. #2pkmsmw2025-05-14 16:47

    Thank you for your reply. I have hooked up cat et,and have 5 ECMs engine,implement, trans,machine control, and input output module. All will connect. The only thing I noticed is the input output module when you click on the header is displays no info like the other ones do. Please forgive my ignorance on this subject. I am a engine, and transmission builder. I only have a very basic understanding of machine electronics.

  3. #3Nige2025-05-14 17:02

    Can you hook up to the machine with ET, download a Product Status Report, and then upload it here please. If you need guidance on how to download a PSR then click this LINK . Make sure that you download it in the optional Adobe pdf format shown at the end of the tutorial.

  4. #4pkmsmw2025-05-14 17:06

    I will do it first thing in the morning. Thank you for your help.

  5. #5pkmsmw2025-05-15 10:11
  6. #6Nige2025-05-15 13:39

    That is 100% weird. The Monitor System does not appear anywhere on the PSR. The instrument panel is part of that system. The strange thing is that there are no Actrive Codes, or even Logged ones, on ET for a failure to communicate with said Monitor System. There's your problem right there. Unfortunately I'm afraid I have no explanation for what the problem is, or how to rectify it. When you connect with ET it should show a list on the screen all the ECMs with which it has communication. Can you supply a screen shot or a photo of that list please.

  7. #7pkmsmw2025-05-15 14:05

    This is odd I seem to have lost communication with the implement, and trans ecms. I have done nothing to this machine since the product report.

  8. #8Nige2025-05-15 14:18

    That is starting to look suspiciously like a wiring harness fault somewhere. Don't ask me where though because I have no idea. You have access to the electrical schematic I assume.? The best I can suggest is to start from the Monitor ECM, the Implement ECM, and the Transmission ECM on the schematic and see if the wiring brings you back to a common point anywhere - maybe even to a common ground connection.

  9. #9pkmsmw2025-05-15 14:28

    After reconnecting they came back. Really odd Thank you for your time. I'm not really sure what to do now. I guess start wiggling wires,and checking continuity. I'm not really sure how productive that's going to be. Just to be clear I should have a monitor system ecm on that list.

  10. #10Nige2025-05-15 15:09

    It appears to be called the Display ECM rather than the Monitor System ECM, which I suppose makes even more sense. It appears as though the electrical schematic refers to it as the Cab ECM to confuse things even further. Check out the attachment regarding a software update from way back, for every ECM except the engine, that was already perfomed on this machine. The new software Part Numbers for Power Train (transmission), Implement, and Machine ECM software can all be found in the PSR, yet neither of the two possible options for the updated Display ECM software do. I think this is what is missing.

  11. #11Nige2025-05-20 09:42

    Sorry it has taken so long to circle back and I have a couple of questions for you Has the machine ever had any kind of aftermarket electronic system, such as a dispatch system, installed on it.? If yes but it’s no longer installed how was the disconnection done.? A proper uninstall or were the wires simply cut.? I assume the ET version you are using is the customer version but do you have access to a dealer version of ET.? If you do then try connecting to the machine as though you were going to flash software into an ECM using the Winflash function. This uses a different datalink connection protocol and may reveal ECMs that the regular connection is not showing up right now.

  12. #12pkmsmw2025-05-20 10:03

    No worries. I've had a large lineboreing project going on, so the machine has just been sitting. We bought it used intending to part it out,but it's so nice we are trying to repair ,and resale. Not sure about dispatch there are some wires hanging down, but in these used machines there always is. I will check. We do have dealer et ( do ask me how) ,and I have flashed a few ecms ,so will try that method for connecting. Thank you for your time.

  13. #13pkmsmw2025-05-27 13:37

    It was a bad display after all. Tried 3 of them before I found one that would work. Big thanks to Nige for all the help . Truly an invaluable resource for this forum.