Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Intermittent Cranking Problem as if the Neutral Safety Switch is active…

joeeye59 ยท 2011-06-15 17:37

Hi... I have a John Deere 310c Backhoe Loader with this intermittent starting problem. Sometimes the starter motor will crank the engine and sometimes it will not crank. So as soon as I touch the reverser shift level I always got a fast immediate fast response cranking over. So I use to think it's got to be the Directional Selector Lever Switch that I believe is mounted on the outside attached to the reverser shift lever linkage that under the floor... I believe there is also adjustments on it too. I guessed it was a safety neutral switch of some sort, but now I'm not getting that fast response anymore when moving the reverser shift lever to get it to crank over. So when it didn't crank over by moving the reverser lever I was stumped thinking now I might have two problems? maybe? So I tapped on the engine starter motor and I got a fast instant response and it cranked right over. so I figure it's got the be the both, starter going bad too right? No? maybe? like the starter is on a high spot in the armature from the bushings being worn down a bit... but then! ...sometimes I don't get that instant response when tapping on the starter motor... So can I be going back and forth between two cranking over problems which are the starter motor and what ever that switch is attached to the reverser shift lever? So can they both be bad...? because I use to get a fast response from the reverser lever for a while at first, then later on the starter motor is now giving me a clear indication its bad because I think this from the few times I get a fast cranking response when tapping on it...., but in this field trickery is the norm. What I'm worried about if there is another switch, relay, solenoid, wire connection, or what ever there is that can be giving me this problem and making me think I have the two problems, as if another part somewhere I over looked that feeds both starter solenoids and reverser lever switch in some back door way?? And now I'd like to refer to a whole other issue which is another Neutral Safety Switch that I seen, its the one that works with the gear speed shifter lever, one of the two wires the coating worn through down to show some of the small tiny copper wires and now maybe tarnished just enough to not perform, maybe setting it off now to not crank intermittently. BUT! I need to know how that feed to this particular Neutral Safety Switch works because I'm stumped? Lets just say what happens if that one wire with the worn down coating is not good and is not working, now does it shut down the cranking system? the switch it self is mounted left side forward of the trans. I believe screwed into the housing and is activated by the movement of the gear speed shifter lever linkage internally (speeds 1 to 4) ...but what I can't understand is I always have it in 1st gear and reverser lever in neutral to start the motor, so I don't understand how this neutral safety switch works? I need to look in the shop manuals because I really need to get into this and even bench test what ever I can... enough of the old school way of checking things... So if you've gone through this I'd appreciate any feed back, thanks for reading... Joe

Replies0

No replies yet.