Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Intermittent Steering Problem

csalerno ยท 2017-03-06 13:36

I have started to see an intermittent issue with steering my Backhoe. It sometimes locks up like there is no hydraulic pressure even those the other implements are working fine. It only lasts for a few minutes then the steering hydraulics reappear.

Replies10
  1. #1berky2017-03-06 13:57

    Might help to know your kind of tractor, model, and year

  2. #2csalerno2017-03-06 13:59

    Sorry, it's a 1979 Clark BL700

  3. #3sheepfoot2017-03-06 18:08

    I would check the simple things first, tire pressure, wheel bearings, kingpin bushing and bearing and grease. If you don't have the parts and service manual i would advise you to look on line and try to find them. Minnpar site has the parts book on line for the bl700 but your going to need some info on pressures and specs down the road. It could be as simple as a suction hose issue, loose piston on the steering cylinder rod, steering shaft bearing, steering orbital, relief valve sticking. Is it doing it with the machine still and bucket full of material or while driving and turning with the bucket full or empty?.

  4. #4jimg9842017-03-06 19:01

    fluid low filter bad belt slipping

  5. #5csalerno2017-03-06 19:13

    Belt slipping on the Hydraulic pump? It's locked up with loader bucket empty just repositioning tractor. I'll check the steering linkage next weekend.

  6. #6Bls repair2017-03-12 17:01

    When you take weight off with bucket does it go away?

  7. #7csalerno2017-03-12 17:27

    Yes, it does, I found that out this afternoon. As soon as it locks up I'll lower the bucket and get the wheels off the ground and steering returns.

  8. #8Bls repair2017-03-12 17:54

    From that I would check to see if something is binding up .

  9. #9csalerno2017-03-12 18:10

    So you think it's most likely not Hydraulic?

  10. #10Bls repair2017-03-12 19:05

    Could be hydraulic but I would first look at mechanical .