hi. I have many pieces of equipment and trucks. As much as I have worked on equipment all of my life I can't seem to get the factory throttle clock spring set correctly. I was running my backhoe one day and all of the sudden the hand throttle quit working. The gas pedal still worked. I had to pull off the sheet metal that covers the front bucket joystick and the valves on the side. It's a row of bolts above the hydraulic tank. I look at the throttle and I notice that a worker of mine in past have "rigged" the throttle pedal wth an additional spring. It was basically a carburetor spring hung from the floorboard down to the linkage below. Closer to me.....where the hand throttle meets the same rod as the gas pedal was two butterfly paddles on a shaft with a clock spring. The tab on the clock spring was snapped off. I assume the the spring was weak and the extra spring had to be added at one time in past......but finally the whole Tab broke off. No one remembers why the extra spring was added. So, I take a punch and tap out the roll pin. Two pot metal aluminum butterfly pieces fall off the shaft and the clock spring. So...in my mind...I order the clock spring from John Deere. It was like twenty bucks. It arrives. I install the clock spring the way I think it may go and put a new roll pin in the butterfly pieces and for the last two months....I have yet to get I think right! Because the spring was broken, I had no way of seeing how it was assembled as example to reinstall new pieces. Taking a picture wouldn't have mattered as the butterfly pieces were in disarray. I have twisted and clocked and rotated a million ways. I can't get it right. I don't wanna modify it to the point of not being factory. I want to fix it back stock. ****Does anyone have a 310c that they can take the cover off of and photograph for me? I beg!*** Deere dealer says they have no idea as there is not a schematic of the clock setup. They say that my backhoe is old and no one around is familiar with a setup like this. They think that if it doesn't have an electronic throttle control that it's outdated! Please help! Thanks!
Mountainmover, I could have written your post! I've got exactly the same problem and the fix is not intuitive. I've looked at this thing forever and can't seem to make it work like it originally did. I've been trying to work around the sheet metal covers. Maybe If I take them off and get a straight on look at things it will be clearer. My spring wasn't broken, but had just come off some way. If I find anything I'l be sure and let you know. Greg
This may help some to think it thru. I would first go to the deere.com site and bring up the parts page for the 310B/ 310c/ 310D and print the linkage speed control pic for those three machines so you can carry it with you to the machine. On the 310c the inside lever is pinned to the shaft reversed to the outside one, the spacers along with the next lever is slide on the shaft with the spring and end cam piece pinned. The foot pedal linkage is direct, movement of the pedal causes the the linkage to the fuel pump to give more fuel. The second lever when the hand throttle is moved to increase speed, makes contact with the ear of the end level which is over it and pinned to the shaft. I think that spring is used to just to provide some tension between those two parts. The hand lever has what looks to be two tension washers that can be tightened to increase holding grip when the hand control is used. I think if i had it here i could figure it out better. May or may not help you but i tried.
I hope this pic helps... It's from Deere TM1420
Following up on this. I got line to work but I don't like the design and the butterfly flaps seem to look pathetic and weak. Thanks for that service manual pic! It's so hard to zero in on the layout of this and get it set correctly using fuzzy b and white schematics. John Deere should do better.
More
The part number as seen on John Deere bag for spring!
John Deere 310c throttle control clock spring part number T227646 . Or, 1-t227646. I also see numbers 2722 and 20160719dy2.
That's strange. That p/n is for a 210c The p/n for a 310c is T77165 From the Deere on line parts catalog.
I have a 210c and my hand throttle is just starting to mess up. It will only stay reved up at wide open. Anything else the throttle will go back to idle . I havent opened anything up yet but plan on it today while the mud dries up.
Ok, I figured my problem out. As simple as it sounds, the nut that holds the throttle lever on came just loose enough that the return spring was able to pull it back to idol. I put a little bit of blue lock tight on it and its been working properly ever since. Maybe it would be something as simple for you..