First off - Hello! I'm a homeowner looking around for a backhoe to pop stumps and do some rough grading, rock removal, etc... I'm looking at an IH 3616, looks to be around a '65 with the D-236. The girl is a leaker. most prominently just over the Engine, under the cowling cover - There are a set of two hyd "valves" of some sort. one above the other, sort of like an under/over shotgun. The lower one is leaking at a rate of 1 drop /second. The units look like cast bodies with vented nut-type caps on the end, the one that is leaking has (3/32"?) a hole in the center where the oil is coming from. The owner states he was told that these serve as some sort of buffer for the loader but I'm not sure what he meant. If anyone has info about these such as 'is this a common issue', 'are they easy to rebuld/repair', etc...I'd be greatful. Another issue that I saw was the pivot for the hoe has a hyd line that feeds nito the center of the main pivot. The top is cracked and there appears to be some minor seeping all over the central area of the pivot - the two large vervos on either side seem OK. Does this set-off any flags with the folks here that are familiar? All-in-all, the machine fires up willingly, gags a little on the throttle sometimes (filters maybe, injector possibly?) the pins are actually pretty tight and there's no welding on the boom sections or bucket which might suggest its had a relatively soft life so far. Rear rubber is "OK" to "good", front sneakers look new and he states the clutch was new about 300 hours ago. He's listing for $6500 but conversations have been as low as $5500 thus far. Any opinions on this machine are welcome and very much appreciated as I have really no idea how to value these mid-grade machines. Thanks - Kevin
The part you are asking about is the piston, top block,splined receiver for the swing shaft, the shaft is held with splines on the top, it has a gear that works with a rack(in the two barrels that swing the hoe, if it's welded around at the top, it may be stripped out and now the patch welding has let loose, these parts my be getting hard to find and will cost real $ to fix. can you post a pic?
The unit is (way) north. I wish I had taken some snaps, but what you described pretty much hits the nail on the head - The weld was all around the top in a diameter that pretty much matches the dia of the spline that I can see from below. The weld was cracked, And I can grind and rout the weld/spline area and stick it again. It's probably had that done a few times for all I know, which brings the affects of heat treating the area into play....Also looking at a '74 Dynahoe 190 but that's a lot of machine for a homeowner application. Looks by the dull orange paint that it was a state owned machine at one point.
They were a good machine in their day, and they did a good job, the area has some seals and will need those replaced, you will need to find a old blue ribben service manual, to do the steps to remove the head, it's been a long time ago, thinking back we used the hyd on the machine to pop it up, alot of people removed the backhoe at the boom/boom cylinder and left the rest on the machine for a counter weight rather than spending the money to fix them if they still needed the loader around. You can only get about a good 1/2 inch down on the shaft to weld it and it will crack again and again as I recall, those splines had alot of stress once getting some wear. May like you said pass and find a more newer machine that does not have that issue, the 190 other than size was a good machine.