Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is a ** 54A Backhoe compatible with a Massey Ferguson 20C?

Tom Fish · 2019-07-09 16:56

Hello all, I have a 1978 Massey Ferguson 20C tractor with a loader, and I've been searching around for a backhoe attachment for the tractor. I found a ** 54A backhoe, and I'd like to know if that model is a compatible fit, I've only seen online that it was offered with a ** 52A backhoe.

Replies9
  1. #1Welder Dave2019-07-09 18:08

    I think the biggest problem would be the weight. The 52A is a 12' foot backhoe and the 54A is 14' backhoe. I think it could work but might need some counterweight on the front. Make sure the hyd. swing motor is in good shape and not leaking. I don't know if parts are still available for it. Does your tractor have the power beyond adaptor to hook up the backhoe?

  2. #2Tom Fish2019-07-09 20:17

    I don't have any mounting hardware for the tractor. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about these attachments, so I'm not sure what else would be necessary to get it mounted. Here is a picture of the backhoe for reference.

  3. #3Welder Dave2019-07-09 20:52

    I think you need you need to look into more of what is required to mount it. Looks like the hoe has been sitting there a log time. Typically the hoe attachments sell pretty cheap.

  4. #4Tom Fish2019-07-09 22:32

    I’ve been searching online to see if I can dig up any information or materials to research this more. Unfortunately I’ve not been able to come up with a whole lot of helpful information around mounting these backhoes. I’ve reached out on a few forums and through Massey Ferguson. I’m seeking any helpful information to help me find out if this will work for my tractor or not, which is what brought me here. Any help is appreciated.

  5. #5Welder Dave2019-07-10 00:12

    I think it may work but you'd need mounts and the appropriate hyd. parts to hook it up. I would look for a manual for the backhoe and the 20C loader backhoe for the most pertinent information. It might be nice to have a backhoe but it may require some fabrication and a bunch of work to hook it up. It could be more trouble than it's worth.

  6. #6Tinkerer2019-07-10 10:44

    Yikes ! The RH outrigger i completely buried along with the boom pivot. If that pivot is wallowed out from wear, that thing isn't worth digging out of the dirt. At least not for a usable backhoe.

  7. #7Welder Dave2019-07-10 10:52

    I spent $1300 getting my rotary cylinder repaired. Thankfully the vane seals were in good shape and the barrel seals were available but it is a Cat hoe not an ** hoe.

  8. #8Tom Fish2019-07-15 11:35

    Thanks for all the info Dave, it sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth to make this hoe work for me. As someone who's looking for a suitable backhoe for my ** 20C do you know where I might find information that would help me find the right fit for my tractor?

  9. #9Welder Dave2019-07-15 18:18

    Maybe look at a smaller hoe made to fit on an Ag tractor. One that has solid bolt on mounts is better than a 3 pt. hitch mounted.