To move heavily compacted concrete fines that have been put down for about 8 years? The grade is to high where the fines are located, and need to be shaved down lower to fix a flooding problem that happens when it rains. We dont have rippers for dozers here since we are in Florida and are extremly rare. Its a road around a building that makes a large bowl. After shaving the hump down i need to move it onto another part of the property. There is roughly 1500' of this and I dont know the thickness, but would guess somewhere in the 12-15 inch range at the thickest.
Grader w/ ripper and elevating scraper. Ripp the material, haul to new location, wheel roll for compaction, reshape road and fill area.
If my experience with "heavily compacted concrete fines" is anything to go by, you're going to have a hard time regardless of what you use. We had a spot on a job one time that had been used to store a large pile of concrete millings, and when it was all gone, I had real trouble digging through the very bottom layer with a backhoe. Not only was it difficult to dig through, but it tended to come out in chunks the full thickness of the layer, as opposed to breaking up into granular material, like you'd expect if digging up crushed stone, or similar. That stuff got almost as hard as if it were poured concrete. A dozer, without a ripper, might just put scratches in the surface. (However, your material may behave differently.)
If you have a dozer ,you can get a single shank ripper that will fit to the dozer blade.They are not as good as a mounted rear ripper ,but for this one time job your looking at it might be something to check into. They actually work pretty good.I have two that i put on my dozer for ripping frost.One on each side of the dozer blade.They are heavy and does take time and manpower to mount them to the blade the first time. Once mounted when you take it off and on when on that job, just stick the tooth in the ground ,remove the top clamp and pick up the dozer blade and away you go. Maybe someone can find you a picture,so you can see one.Good luck:usa
Concrete fines removal ? Just wonder if a concrete Hwy pavement breaker would work. Pulverize the material by breaking it up with one of them machines. Then use a loader and trucks to move it.
I would find a pavement contractor with a milling machine and have it come by and pulverize it for you. (Fluff it up) Most Millers are only $3,000 for that size of an area. Then take the dozer regrade and compact.
This would be your most cost effective way of doing this.Mill into trucks ,haul to fill area and spread w/ dozer or grader.Now would be a good time to do this as their work load tends to increase from here on out.:my2c:iagree
I like the milling idea. I dont need to truck it any place, as I can use it only feet away from where it is now. I only need to break it up so I can regrade it. I was also thinking a breaker mounted on a track loader would work.
blade ripper Here is a photo of a front blade mounted ripper, like CO said, not the greatest but gets the job done. We have used ours to rip sandstone(create benches), rip rock and frost alike. Trbo Kinda hard to see it, I some of the front view, but my scanner isnt' working. Dang ol style photos.:bash
Here's a picture of a blade mounted ripper made by Esco.