Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is a Ripper worth having?

J_Anderson ยท 2008-02-27 19:59

I recently bought a CASE 1150G dozer. The undercarriage needs a little work, but I plan to do that as soon as the weather is a little nicer. I think this dozer will do a lot more than the smaller machines I've had in the past and I can hardly wait to give it a try. My question is about putting a ripper on this machine. I came across a used CASE 1150 ripper that is in pretty good shape and I'm thinking that I may buy it and put it on this machine. To be honest, I really like the looks of a dozer with a ripper on the back. They just look like the can really tear things up. I know that rippers are primarily intended do loosen up the subsoil to make it easier to move, but what else can a ripper be used for? For instance, can you tear out tree roots with a ripper? I've just never been around one, so I don't know how useful one might be. Thanks in advance for any input. :salute

Replies27
  1. #1d6peg2008-02-27 20:09

    Personally I would not have a dozer without a ripper. I guess you will have to determine what you will be doing with the machine. The ripper will rip tree roots but pull out very few. IMHO they are a must have.

  2. #2LDK2008-02-27 20:37

    I agree with d6peg, I would not want a dozer without a ripper.

  3. #3DirtHauler2008-02-27 21:04

    Having the right tools when you need them is the name of the game. As someone who has banged my head against the wall trying to rip with the corner of the cutting edge because I did not have a ripper, i say get one when you can do so without puting yourself in a dire financial situation. Afterall it will forever increase the value of the machine.

  4. #4Woodstock2008-02-27 21:28

    I agree a ripper is a must. I have them on both of my machines. It is also a counter weight, better traction, and protection when backing up. It is easier on the machine to rip harder materials then trying to dig them loose with the blade.:my2c

  5. #5CM19952008-02-27 23:13

    I agree with what has been said about the benefits of having a ripper on a dozer, it really is a must have - especially if it is your primary mover. One thing to consider when adding a ripper to a dozer. Does you dozer have the 3rd valve hydraulics to operate a ripper? If it does not, then adding one could be a considerable expense above the cost of the ripper.

  6. #6Big Iron2008-02-28 00:55

    Depends on what your doing with it, if you are logging or moving oilfied equipment on a location then you want a winch, if you are moving dirt you want a ripper, if you are plowing cable you want a plow. A bareback dozer is a half a machine put the implement back there that you need and that you will use the most.

  7. #7Deas Plant2008-02-28 07:26

    To Ripper Or Not To Rip 'er. Hi, J_Anderson. Welkum to the forum. To ripper or not to rip 'er, that is the question. Rear mounted rippers are hard on machines that have them fitted, but only as hard as the operator using them. As many have mentioned above, they make a useful machine much more usefull and add value to it as well. Yes, you can rip tree roots with them, within reason. You might like to have a second think about tackling a moderately large sequoia. You can also use them to help lift out 'floater' rocks. With a mole drainer attachment, you can make mole drains underground or lay poly pipe or cables. You can use them as a sub-soiler, even to the extent of fitting beet wings to them to lift and aerate the soil. You can use them as a root plow simply by fitting/making a blade from shank to shank. Or, wonder of wonders, you can even use them to boost your dozer's production in harder going by breaking the ground up before attempting to move it. One thing that almost nobody else has mentioned yet though, is the balancing effect that a ripper on the back end of a dozer has. I can't remember a single dozer that I have ever run that has had worse balance for having a ripper fitted. As another poster mentioned, it also improves traction. If your dozer doesn't have the appropriate valving for a ripper, you will need to either obtain and fit that valving or fit a changeover tap or diverter valve into another circuit and plumb from there. Unless you have a good understanding of hydraulics, this might be a job for somebody who does have that understanding - - - AND can put it into effect. Try not to think that having a ripper fitted transforms your Case 1150 into a Cat D11. LOL. Hope this helps

  8. #8pushcat2008-02-28 07:36

    I'm going against the grain and say no, a ripper isn't a must have. About the only time we use a ripper is for ripping frost, and we avoid that if we can. We've got one on an old D6D that is used pretty much just for ripping and pushing demolition and concrete, and one on a 963C. It just adds that much more weight to an already heavy machine. All of our production dozers and the rest of the loaders are bareback and have never felt the need for a ripper on them. If the need arises we will move a ripper machine to the job but that is rare. But that is our situation, it all depends on what the conditions and soil types you have. But I would say in Iowa you could live without one unless you plan on working all winter and need to rip frost.

  9. #9ror76a2008-02-28 14:15

    Rippers are pritty rare around here. My TD6 had one when we bought it (more of a back scratcher than a ripper on a machine that size) and we ended up taking it off as we spent a lot of time manuvering the machine in tight spots - small driveways and yards, very little time if any ripping, so it was just kind of it the way on that machine. I wouldn't mind having a ripper on a bigger dozer though, say D6 size or bigger - I think it would make a big diffrence when production pushing in hard clay, nice for shale too. If you can get it for a resonable price, and think you will use it, I would say go for it.

  10. #10ben46a2008-02-28 17:51

    Id have a ripper, or at least a counterweight on the back, the improvement in balance is great. The ripper can also be handy if you get stuck, to pick yourself clear and stack rocks etc.

  11. #11LDK2008-02-29 03:59

    The only dozer I have run that a ripper did not improve the balance was a D3B but I would still prefer to have the ripper than not.

  12. #12Deereman2008-02-29 16:25

    I agree with some. A ripper adds weight and balance. Specially on anything from a 650J size and down. You could even weld you on a reciver hitch and use it to move trailers and mobile homes. Also makes a good place to stand when refueling. But on the other hand you lose the departure angle for like walking in slopes and sometimes they tend to get ppl stuck. I look at it this way: if the only 2 pieces you had was a track loader and a dozer, I would put the winch on the dozer and ripper on the loader. Best of both worlds and works well with each other. Vail makes a pretty nice kit for the 1150. Nice built but a little on the exspensive side but worth it.

  13. #13CoyoteKurtz2008-03-02 21:34

    Nice dozer. My dad and i built a custom ripper and used it as a plow to put in stock water lines. Worked slick.

  14. #14Countryboy2008-03-03 19:43

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums CoyoteKurtz! :drinkup

  15. #15John White2008-03-05 16:39

    The first two dozers I owned had a ripper and it was worth almost it weight in gold, in the type of work I do. Thease were the smallest dozers made ( Case 350 and a ** 200) I do alot of driveways, taking out small trees, etc. On a drive way that was limestoned and needed to be re-done. Drop that ripper and it sure made work alot eaiser. Or when I wanted to take of the top soil and make a new drive way, it sure made it alot eaiser. As these dozers are so light, any thing hard will raise you and get you into the "dippety-doo" mode. Just drop that ripper, I would make a pass or two and then get onto business. The last two dozers I had did not have a ripper on it and added considerable more time to my work. Plus I had a large ball mounted on the ripper and when I got my truck stuck, simply unhook the truck and drive it out if possible, then just back up to the trailer and raise the ripper and move the trailer with ease. Rooting around trees, then they would push over pretty good. The little dozer I have now a Mitsbushi BD2J does not have a ripper and if I could find one that would attach up to it right without alot of modification and priced right, I would buy it in a minute.

  16. #16140gdirtman2008-03-06 23:49

    working in the mountains of wyo.a ripper is a must:drinkup

  17. #17ghak992008-03-14 21:15

    When you need it, you'll wish you had one.:thumbsup

  18. #18sandy2008-03-15 03:01

    ripper Had a 1150b some yearsback was fitted with a realy heavy ripper by the previous owner. Hardley ever used it, found it handy to lift the dozer right off the ground. made it clumsy hanging out the back .would get hung up or swinging round in tight spaces catch a fence . Had the transmision out and left the rippers off, made it a lot more agile thought i would leave it off, went back into steep country, could not back up like it used to or climb like it used to. rippers went back on just what i experienced.

  19. #19Dozerboy2008-03-15 17:26

    In your area unless you do a lot of clearing and want it for roots it isn't a mush have. You wouldn't use it as much at several other areas, but it would still be valuable and a good choice if it can be installed for a good price.

  20. #20Hjolli2008-03-16 08:12

    A dozer without a ripper feels a bit crippled to me. Not only does it give a better fore-aft balance, it also increases traction and lowers the center of gravity, very important for every dozer. It also gives you the ability lift the entire machine with the ripper and blade. But just my 2 euro cents.....

  21. #21Deas Plant2008-03-17 08:38

    WUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No ripper????????????????????? Hi, Hjolli. I'm with you. In 43 years, I think I've only operated ONE dozer with hydraulic controls that didn't have a ripper fitted - and they finished up fitting a ripper to it. Felt pretty 'nekkid' up till then. There were a couple of cable controlled machines that didn't have rippers - and one, a Cat D6d, that did have a cable-controlled rear-mounted ripper fitted, and it was a beauty. It would just suck itself into hard dirt that a Fiat AD12 with a hydraulic ripper was battling to get into unless pushed by the D6D. Magnificent goemetry. But you couldn't lift the machine UP with it.

  22. #22Construct'O2008-03-17 10:27

    For me the answer to the question of ripper is "No"! Because i have a pull scraper. Also the condition here 80% of the time is working in mud not rocky soils. Because of the mud the extra weight is not a bennifit.If i worked in rocky areas the ripper would be must also.But not everyone needs a ripper because of the area they live, and soil conditons.

  23. #23westladog2009-09-15 13:22

    I just broke the hydraulic cylinder connecting to my ripper. it was my first time operating a tractor....geez.... YouTube - Ripper ARM Broken TX650 Terex Hydraulic I have no idea what I need to do now. I'm thinking I have to get a new cylinder then heat and bend the ear back in place? Help....

  24. #24westladog2009-09-15 13:24

    Another vid.... YouTube - 4G4 Gannon Scrapper Hydraulic TX650 Terex #3 The parts guy said that the cylinder is mounted differently from what he's used to seeing on a Terex skip loader.

  25. #25Taylortractornu2009-09-15 20:49

    Yes ripper or scarifier is a definite must in hard clay. Not many here in our soil but in Alabama they are an most dozers. id love either on my D5b at work, we often cut red clay off a bank to re coat haul roads or to cap a working face. The only problem is we use sand mostly and we have to corner out the baked surface clay so the 762 scraper can pick it up. It has a stinger bit, but it wont cut it. cornering is hard on the tractor and bing on a shelf cut you can only cut each side of the bench and the center stays hard. When we built our compactor we made the blade from the dozer off a 290 M Clark scraper, we got a spare blade to and als a singe shank and tooth off the back drage rippers. Theres just enough room to mount the ripper and mount on the back of the blade on the D5B. I want weld it on later this fall. As for the ripper on the back of a BD2G I saw a man that made a set of his over in Tennesse the other day near Savannah. it looked good. he had an old junk AW grader for a parts machine and took the scarifire holder and teeth and made a nice set up.

  26. #26CatSkinner77V2009-09-22 06:43

    we work in the frost alot in late fall/early winter so a ripper is a must for us, have 2 D8K's with rippers, one multishank, one SS, one 2 barrel, ones 4 barrel. The 2 barrel works just fine but when the going gets tough its nice to curl the rip shank underneath you with the 4 barrel to help suck the cat down to the ground when your ripping.

  27. #27catd68u2009-09-22 09:39

    nice addition, Any extra tool that you have extra makes your tractor more useful. We have a D-6 with a winch and back up rippers. I would say that rippers are very usefull for you. They also work as a counter wieght and good for sub ripping roots after clearing jobs.