I have a 2005 450j lt dozer that I bought brand new. It now has about 3500hrs on it and I'm thinking it's getting about time to change the chains and rollers. I'm wondering if you think I can get another year out of the undercarriage or should I change it this winter. I had a guy from deere measure the component this spring and he told me it was all around 30-40%. Just recently I have noticed all the bushings started getting cracks in them. How much longer do you think I can get out of the chains? I only put about 350hrs a year on this machine. Thanks.
if the bushings are cracking you may as well run it till won't go no more or won't stay on I have put new sprockets on a 963 before that was so slick we had to push it on lowboy and got another 350 HRS out of it before finally replacing complete system if its wore out enough that you have to replace it you are not going to ever put it back on so any more HRS you can get out of it is gravy:thumbsup
Can you upload some pics?
Not unusual to see track chains and rollers run to 110% worn or even more as long as the sprockets will drive the chain. I've seen guys jack a machine up and torch some metal off the roller flanges because they start to hit the pin bosses on the chains. As long as it's not jerking and making loud noises or the chain coming off, it should be fine.
I used to run tracks out to the end,,, then I noticed final drive issues arriving. I no longer run them to death and my finals are not giving me problems anymore. Just my 2cents.... Sometimes some things just don't pay.
Run em as long as you can maintain track tension and are not "skipping" at the sprockets. You wouldnt drink 60-70% of a beer and throw the rest away,would you?
Agree with rest run them till they start slipping. My 955 is past the max wear point and it still works, jumps every now and then but still works. Just ordered new chains last week for it only because I plan to sell it. No body wants a machine with worn out under carriage
That's the one caveat, if the rails are strecthed (worn internally between pin and bushing) to the point where the sprockets are not running well, you can damage the finals with the shock loading. Putting new sprockets against badly worn rails can aggravate this.
Gentlemen, I am new to the list, with a 1980 Cat D6D question. There are two idlers on each side of the cat, holding the upper tracks in place. One of the idlers allows the track to ride on top of it. We can pull it into place, then after a while it jumps up on top again. I noticed a pin holding the idler, can the bolt be loosened and the pin be adjusted inward to stop what's happening?
start a new thread . you will get more responces
Short answer is yes, and if the carrier roller is angled down instead of being level, you can shim the pedestal base, common problem.
Running tracks to death is penny wise and $100 bill foolish. As was said the finals cost way more than the tracks. There is a reason that the tracks are considered 0% cause from there on damage to other components starts to happen. Not to mention the aggravation of running wore out stuff and looking like a cheap skate to your customers.
From what I understand, sprocket skipping in the tracks is what causes final drive issues. So as long as you're not experiencing that, run them until they fall off. I usually give up on tracks way before then, because I don't want a machine broke down trying to get the last few hundred dollars out of an undercarriage.
you just have to make sure if you put on new sprockets that the rails are not so short that it's actually riding on the sprockets at the bottom