Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is this why my tach no worky?

Rocketsled ยท 2012-10-21 15:27

I am guessing that this isn't the stock alternator and that little black wire hanging there is for the tach.

Replies4
  1. #1bowen2012-10-21 16:50

    Look on the left front of the engine beside the water reservoir. (opposite your picture) Does yours not have a mechanical tachometer cable and gearbox? Some did have an electric hourmeter but my 1985 580SE has the mechanical cable for the tach and hourmeter.

  2. #2Rocketsled2012-10-21 17:30

    Thanks Bowen. Just checked but no joy on mech. gearbox near coolant reservoir. Also when I removed gauge cluster it only has electrical connections.

  3. #3Rocketsled2012-10-21 20:38

    Did continuity check between wire at Alt. and gauge cluster. It is in fact the Tach. wire. Guess I am without a tach until I replace alt.. ***

  4. #42stickbill2012-10-21 22:46

    Look for a sending unit on the front gear cover with no wire attached.Most get RPMs from a sending unit that is on some engines.