Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Should I bleed?

Rocketsled ยท 2012-10-21 15:24

Just changed the fuel filters and am wondering if I need to bleed the pump before I attempt to start. FYI I filled up the filters before installing them. 580se w/4-390. Manual isn't here yet. Thanks.:beatsme

Replies3
  1. #1sheepfoot2012-10-21 18:59

    yes it saves alot of trouble, loosen the 10 mm bleed screw and work the lift pump untill fuel comes out, sometimes you have to turn the engine to get the cam in the rite spot to stroke the pump.

  2. #2Rocketsled2012-10-21 20:34

    Thanks again sheepfoot! I actually tried to bleed as you said, but was before I read your post. Didn't seem like manual lift pump was doing anything. Must have been in wrong position on cam as you said. Tried starting anyway and she fired right up, sputtered a little but then smoothed out and was fine. Salude!

  3. #3grandpa2012-10-21 20:40

    Filling up the filters worked for many years.... now with the new high pressure systems it is no longer recommened as it is another source of contamination.... guess, do what your comfortable with.