Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Issue with Cat 301.4c

Armydgp · 2024-07-14 04:28

Hey guys, quick question. My excavator was starting fine but the hydraulics were locked out, i ended up taking apart the armrests and finding the safety lockout switches, i cleaned them up and re seeded the connections and the excavator worked. I went a head and put everything back together and when i went to try it again, the equipment wouldn't start now. I'm waiting 10 seconds with the glow plugs but now I'm getting a yellow lamp that illuminates on the panel. I took a picture and attached the indicator. Thanks in advance. Danny

Replies8
  1. #1JAJ2024-07-18 19:35

    Did you get it sorted?

  2. #2Armydgp2024-07-18 19:59

    Yes, it’s the lockout switch. The previous owner rigged it up with glue and a screw to try and hold it in place, I can start the excavator as long as I push the switch in then use the hydraulics when it’s released. I’m going to mess with it this weekend, see how I can fix it. I’ll post some pics Danny

  3. #3JAJ2024-07-18 20:04

    Yeah ok will be interesting to see the pics but sounds like you have it sorted. I wouldn't think a new switch would be hard to get, worst case scenario? I have a 302CR so a bit different to yours I think.

  4. #4Armydgp2024-08-08 02:06

    So update, i bypassed the switch and got it working for a couple days but now back to hydraulics not working SMH

  5. #5Armydgp2024-08-08 08:07

    this is what the switch looked like with the glue and everything, i didn't take a pic of the screw rigged on top of the switch trying to keep it in place

  6. #6Nige2024-08-08 08:51

    I can see 3 lamps. From the top - battery indicator (probably because it's not running), engine oil pressure (as before), glow plug indicator. Which one of the three were you particularly interested in.? If you want an electrical schematic then please post a machine Serial Number. were you aware that there are 3 safety switches on the machine.?

  7. #7Armydgp2024-08-08 08:53

    yeah, each joystick and seat, but the weird thing is after i messed with the switch in the joystick it worked for a couple days, it starts no problem, just no hydraulics. I read someplace some excavators have a lockout bypass, anyone know if this CAT does?

  8. #8Nige2024-08-08 09:02

    It's doubtful. Bypassing a safety system, unless for the purpose of testing, is not something any manufacturer would think of doing. Again, if you want a schematic - post a Serial Number because there are 5 different options depending on S/N. I pulled up one at random and can see 2 safety switches wired in series, but it may not be for your S/N. What you may be thinking of is skid-steers, where there is a cab door switch that can be bypassed if the machine needs to be operated with the door removed.