Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IT 14G Steering Problem

IFSL ยท 2010-12-22 21:39

I Have an IT14G. The thing up and stopped steering the other day. all other hydros work just fine. steering wheel is tight. We came to the conclusion ( me and the cat dealer) that it was 90% chance of being the steering pump at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft. I replaced it ( $1200) fired it up and still no steering. I followed some of the hoses and they go to some kind of valve body is there a chance something is messed up in that? Blockage? what do I check next. Im a little bit of distance from the dealer so to have them come out with the service truck will cost me quite a bit of $ just in mileage to get them here.

Replies7
  1. #1Lee-online2010-12-22 22:25

    I assume you did connect the hoses to the right ports. You did run it long enough to bleed the air from the system, this normally take a few minutes of turning the wheel. Do you have brakes? are the accumulators charging? The valve body is prolly the steering and brake manifold valve. There is a steering internal relief valve in the flow control valve. What IT14g do you have? serial prefix.

  2. #2IFSL2010-12-23 09:14

    its a 1wn015066? 1wn01566 something like that. I ran it for about a min. there was no movement at all in the machine when moving the steering wheel. and the wheel seems tight

  3. #3IFSL2010-12-23 10:53

    ran it today for about 5 min. worked the wheel back and forth and I dont have any movement at all . I marked my hoses comming off however where can I get a diagram to check the connections are made right?

  4. #4IFSL2010-12-23 15:32

    the brakes do not work and now im getting a low pressure alarm... this would be the pump for the brakes and steering then ?

  5. #5Lee-online2010-12-23 16:02

    The brake and steering pump are a 2 stage gear pump, the pumps are on the end of the pump stack. It could be the pump even though gear pumps are very durable. it could be the drive coupler that connects the pumps to the imp pump. Suction line collapsed? Is it noisy? If the pumps are ok then where is the flow going? steering and brake manifold valve (priority valve) is what controls this. It could be something in there. Spool sticking, relief stuck, orifice blocked.

  6. #6IFSL2010-12-24 09:11

    it is not noisy at all sounds like everything is running normal I am going to dig into it some more today between snowflakes and see what i can find or at least get the thing pressure washed off so i can see what i am doing.

  7. #7venomous2011-01-07 13:07

    if it is low pressure alarm beeping and brake not really working.. go on check the pump.. seems like the pump give low pressure