Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 214 transmission pressure mtx valve

Dustin Epema ยท 2020-11-02 17:41

Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me out. I have a 96 JCB 214 synchro shuttle shift backhoe with a transmission problem. I was wondering If the plunger in the mtx valve under the spring and cap (on the adapter plate under the electric solenoid valve) was supposed to have an o-ring or anything on it? I believe this valve acts like an overpressure valve but I don't see how it holds back pressure without an o ring or packing or something on the plunger. Any help would be appreciated! Am I missing something?

Replies21
  1. #1skata2020-11-02 21:52

    Maybe it just needs thread sealant, like perhaps teflon tape.

  2. #2Dustin Epema2020-11-02 23:07

    Yeah, part number 44. It shows the cap and spring, but doesn't show the plunger that goes under the spring in the housing. Do you know if there's any packing or an o-ring that goes on it?

  3. #3Dustin Epema2020-11-02 23:19

    I drove 30 miles to the JCB dealer today trying to figure it out, and they weren't any help. I reoriented the parts to match the parts catalog pic a little better. (I did order the base gasket for it though) They wanted $600-$800 for the whole assembly, but I'm not sure if mine is missing anything. And I would much rather order an o-ring or packing for a few bucks than buy a new one.

  4. #4skata2020-11-02 23:41

    Always check ebay for parts. I believe this is what you have. https://www.ebay.com/itm/163983911113 But I don't think there is suppose to be any seal on the shaft itself. That's common in transmissions to not have seals on solenoids and shift valves. Any fluid leakage is overcome by the fluid flow. I seen this pic that shows what looks like a crush washer under the bolt cap. What exactly is wrong with your transmission?

  5. #5Dustin Epema2020-11-02 23:46

    My next step would be to confirm that it actually is low tranny pressure by purchasing gauges and hooking them to the test ports. But the backhoe is acting like the tranny doesn't have enough pressure. It will creep about 20-30 feet in fwd or reverse when cold and then stop moving like the clutches are slipping. The cooler was recently replaced and the fluid changed. There was very little debris on the screen when the fluid was changed. Thank you for all for your help!

  6. #6Dustin Epema2020-11-02 23:55

    That part does look very similar to mine. The cap on mine did have a sealant around the hex. I don't have a lot of experience on transmissions, and didn't realize it wasn't common to have seals on solenoids or shift valves.

  7. #7LN Pipeline2020-11-03 00:04

    Is that an elastomeric seal washer on the cap? Looks like metric parallel or BSPP?

  8. #8skata2020-11-03 08:03

    So the trans acted the same before and after fluid change? How much fluid you put in?

  9. #9Dustin Epema2020-11-03 10:35

    Yes. 3.5 gal. I didn't flush it. Just drained and filled. The fluid had a little water contamination.

  10. #10skata2020-11-03 12:13

    You verified the torque converter is spinning? We had a member recently who had his flywheel bolts sheer off. Did you just buy this machine? Or did it previously run good?

  11. #11Dustin Epema2020-11-03 12:34

    I just bought it. The torque converter appears to still be bolted to the flywheel. I can't turn it by hand and no rub marks on the flywheel, but don't want to start it disassembled. I think my next step is waiting for the gasket to come in, putting it back together and then hooking up some pressure gauges. Thanks for all your help!

  12. #12skata2020-11-03 12:39

    So someone else probably changed the fluid before you, and that's why the screen came out clear.

  13. #13Dustin Epema2020-11-03 13:04

    I bought it from an older gentleman that used it on his farm until the transmission started acting up. He said he hasn't changed the fluid, the screen cap had old sealant still holding it on to the pan. He did change some relays, the solenoid valve, and the shuttle shifter stick on the control column. If the pressures come out good I'll drop the tranny and change the clutches.

  14. #14skata2020-11-03 16:52

    Did you verify voltage at the solenoids? And verify voltage with a load?

  15. #15Dustin Epema2020-11-05 10:13

    I verified voltage to the solenoid, not sure I know what you mean by verifying voltage with a load?

  16. #16skata2020-11-05 12:36

    I mean you could have 12v while the connector is unplugged, but want to make sure it's still showing 12v when it's plugged in and has a load on it. In other words you want to eliminate the possibility of a wiring issue where you have weak voltage that doesn't fully engage the solenoids.

  17. #17Dustin Epema2020-11-05 14:40

    I'll try that when the base gasket gets in for the adapter plate! Thank you!

  18. #18Dustin Epema2021-03-28 22:20

    Base gasket for the solenoid came in and still acted the same. So I dropped the transmission and had it rebuilt. I installed the transmission today and it is working good in first and second (forward and reverse) but seems to slip going up hills in third, and fourth gear won't move it from a stop. Is this normal for this piece of equipment? Do the clutches have to soak a little longer before they fully engage? I realize it's a heavy piece of equipment, just thought it would run out a little better. The old clutches and steels that came out looked ok. They weren't burnt and didn't seem too worn. Am I expecting too much?

  19. #19skata2021-03-29 02:21

    If you had clutch slippage issues, your old clutches would have shown it. Who did the rebuild? Replace the torque converter? Normally in 3rd and especially on the 4th, the machine will start to move very slow. I'd only attempt to start off in 4th on pavement. And 4th is really only for roading the machine. Is it possible your engine is not making full power?

  20. #20hookedondiesel2021-03-29 09:02

    There should be a drain plug on the torque converter, my does, perhaps you should also drain that and see what it looks like.

  21. #21Dustin Epema2021-04-01 20:09

    I let the clutches soak and it'll climb anything in first or second now! I haven't been back on pavement. Might have just needed to burn the glaze off of them. Thanks for all of your help! I do have one more request... Do you know the part number for the 4x4 solenoid electric plug connector? It'll be the same connector that goes on the shift solenoid. It must have got hung up on some brush. My google skills aren't the best. Again, thank you for everything so far!