Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1550B water pump

Coytee ยท 2021-09-12 10:01

I'm getting some dripping at the front of the engine so have ordered a new water pump. I specifically asked for any/all gaskets to be included..... and of course, the pump arrived yesterday, with no gaskets. Implicitly I know it needs one.....but, the guy said it was all part of the replacement kit so that infers there isn't one. They're closed now. I've sent him an email that he won't get until tomorrow AND, I am literally booked with back to back meetings from 7:30 until about 6:00 Monday through Friday so I'm pushed back an entire week now. I'll probably miss his phone call should he call me. Got me wondering, I have time 'today' to replace it. I will otherwise have to wait until I receive the gasket that they didn't include and not touch this until NEXT weekend.....weather permitting then. So.... am I correct in that there SHOULD be a gasket with this? Presuming yes, any merit in heading into town to buy some Permatex or something appropriate to simply make one and get it done today? It really irks me that this happened, especially when I made specific mention of it. I had everything lined up to replace this "now"...... and now I'm sitting on my thumbs.

Replies3
  1. #1Finca SDR2021-09-12 10:16

    I'm not familiar with your specific pieces but have done magnificent things with Grey permatex. If the edges are clearly discernable and the gasket wouldn't contact any moving pieces go ahead and use permatex is my vote. Use as little as possible to keep it from squishing into the system and let it dry for several hours at least, if not overnight. That's my vote but I'm just peanut gallery, maybe some who is familiar with your machine and actually knows should weigh in.

  2. #2Coytee2021-09-14 05:33

    Contacted dealer, supposed to be a gasket so they're sending it at their expense ( I of course pay for the part)

  3. #3Coytee2021-09-20 08:30

    The rest of the story: Dealer sent the gasket at their shipping expense (I paid for the part) Parallel to this, my tractor (IH-1066) is leaking a bit of fluid....turns out the send/return lines from the MCV to the hydraulic cooler in front was leaking. Probably original as it was dry rotting and had intermittent red paint on it (tractor has not been repainted) So I get up early Saturday to take hose off, go to town (NAPA) to get a replacement hose. Get the goods, go home. Tractor was busy work but pretty easy fix EXCEPT for..... the hose that was on there had an ID of (I don't really know) but let's just say 1/4"....and the hose they gave me had an ID of 1/2". Was just enough that it would slide over the bulge in the pipes quite freely but not rattle around too much. I was in a pickle with both machines (and the 15' mower behind the tractor) all parked in my driveway. So I fixed the tractor, decided I'll keep eye out for leaks and if I see one, replace with proper, slightly smaller hose. (have 4" section in tool drawer so I can leave all be while I go into town to replace if/when that happens) With some arthritis at the base of my spine starting to act up (causing me pretty distinct pain and having to lean forward a bit as it's painful to straighten the spine fully)..... I figured I'd like to get a head start on the pump for the backhoe. Looking at it, I deduced that it would be much easiser....yet much more difficult at the same time if I could go at it straight on from the front however, we all likely know that there's a radiator and an oil cooler in the way. So my only option was to fight through the top of the engine, while bent over with sharp pains in the back. (made for a long day) However, if I can get things apart today, I can lay down, ease the pain....and next day (Sunday) put back together. So this is essentially what I did. Just busy work getting the water out. Decided to pull the block drain too (for the first time probably ever). Now I had to catch the radiator fluid for disposal. I probably climted up/down this thing 40,873 times for various reasons....some as annoying as having dropped my wrench and it landed dead center under the machine (which by the way, meant it was either in the catch pan OR, the mud next to it.....either way getting me even more dirty) Got it off, prepared new one. Cleaning 30 year dried on gasket was a lot of fun... NOT. Got new one started, hung it with one screw to hold the gasket in place while I started other bolts. Got them on. Then, I had to put the hub on that holds the blade ensemble. Got it on.... decided to start engine first WITHOUT the fan blades as they were the hardest part to deal with given their angles and the shroud blocking my access to the bolts (the shroud that I had to work through OR, take out the radiator and oil cooler!) Engine starts, terrible squeeling....the water pump is not moving but, the belt is. WHAT??? Shut down, fiddle..... yep, it's stuck. Loosen alternator, remove belt.... pump won't move. What on earth did I do??? Pull the nose of it back off (the part that holds the blades) and found my issue. The key that goes on the pump shaft, locking this bell housing in place to turn...had fallen. When I tightened it down, it was inside there being "crushed" (wrong word but describes what happened) when the housing was tightened down. No worries, I'll just put it back in the keyway...... what? Doesn't fit??? It had a small compression on it from when I tightened things down. I had to get the grinder out and V.E.R.Y. carefully with my bare hands, gently grind this slight bulge off. I finally grasped it with some small vice grips to get my hands away from the blade and heat from grinding it thinner. Got the dent out of it....all back together, filled up with antifreeze & water and gave it a test drive. Looking like all is nice & water tight now. So if you're ever messing around with something like this that has that keyway in there, make 100% sure that it doesn't fall out during reassembly and create a different issue for you. I would have been done maybe 2-hours sooner had I not had to fool with this and redo this part. Wife is happy....by end of day both machines were out of driveway and parked in their normal locations, awaiting their next use.