http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280726739739&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123 Not sure what the thinking behind the single arm was, or if there is an advatage?
Safety I think was the thought behind the design. JCB has stuck to their guns with this design and has been trying to convert buyers since the late 90's I believe (Not a lot of conversion at least in North America). If there is any advantage to this machine it will be found in the latest series JCB just introduced. I would not consider an older model, but thats just my opinion.
The single arms hold up pretty well and are covered under warranty (not sure how long.) My son is a shop foreman that handles JCB (among other things) and says that he only knows of one that was bent and in that case they were doing a lot of digging rock with the left corner. However, one thing I do not like is that they cannot be used with OTT tracks unless you remove the door and then mud will be filling up the cab ;-) Since I run tracks almost all the time, that's a definite deal breaker for me. I also did not find it very stable going uphill with the bucket empty. I demo'd one for a couple of days....then bought a Deere Ken
I believe they, (the arm), are covered by a lifetime warranty. Both the Peugot and Perkins motors used in these JCB's are absolute dogs I am led to believe and I understand that the loaders themselves are hard to work on in many areas, (this came from a former opner of one).
Well that's my thinking, I would guess that the machine does not look balanced, with all the weight on one side.
I don't know that the side balance is the issue but rather it tips backward easily. I have heard that most skid steers are 30/70 balanced but that Deere and NH are 40/60 and that gives them better uphill stability. I know my Deere definitely is more stable going uphill than the JCB demo unit that I had but how much of that is machine design and how much of that is the steel tracks I have on, I don't know. I just know that our farm is very hilly and I need that stability! Ken
I don't believe there is a side to side balance issue with these loaders as the cab etc is offset. I like the concept of the side opening door and understand that the issue of OTT tracks has been addressed by a different door fitment. Unfortunately it seems that the British mentality of doing things the hard way lives on as regards their ability to be worked upon. Traditional skid steer design grapples with the problem of access and egress under raised arms, (we access wheel loaders from the side only), raising serious safety issues. JCB offer a viable solution to this. It's just a pity that the previously bulletproof Perkins engines have degenerated into unreliable dogs.
I don't believe there is a side to side balance issue with these loaders as the cab etc is offset. I like the concept of the side opening door and understand that the issue of OTT tracks has been addressed by a different door fitment. Unfortunately it seems that the British mentality of doing things the hard way lives on as regards their ability to be worked upon. Traditional skid steer design grapples with the problem of access and egress under raised arms, (we access wheel loaders from the side only), raising serious safety issues. JCB offer a viable solution to this. It's just a pity that the previously bulletproof Perkins engines have degenerated into unreliable dogs.
hey guys!! it has been quite some time since i have been on the forums, with the summer farming and all... i like what i'm seeing!! so...i see we are talking jcb skid steers! well, unfortunately, i am still waiting to purchase the size machine i want, since it is supposed to be released this fall. the older jcb skid steers were respectable. the brand new ones are amazing. i demoed one and there is no other machine on the market that comes even close to the jcb in my opinion. [for visibility, safety, ease of use, ergonomics, heavy duty rear end, user friendliness, few grease zerks and longer grease intervals, most comfortable seat ever, easy to clean inside and out, quite cab, no interior foam to fall apart, ease of maintanence, service, and easy to work on, sweet jcb engine, nice integrated convex rear view mirror, sweet pilot controls for the time being, among many others... the new model is a must drive, you would not be disappointed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYUU_6r-n3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0dn4crVTyE&feature=related jcb built volvo