Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1700B Engine Oil Spec?

ekm ยท 2016-05-16 18:53

Hi, I have a 1988 1700B with a perkins diesel and looking to do an oil change. The manual says 20w20 oil...any idea on where to find this or what it was replaced by. Thanks....

Replies1
  1. #1x-ray2016-05-17 10:03

    Hmm can only offer what I have seen change over the years in the oil world. Not looking to start an oil war that happens on many sites, I would say in the end your going to wind up with either 15w-40 or 10w-40, 5w-40 multi-viscosity . The main important factor is the API CI-4 Plus/CH-4/SL/SJ certification for diesel engines. The 20w does not refer to "weight" rather the winter or cold viscosity rating. The 20 would mean a very thin oil when hot, and just using a regular car rated 5w-20 would most likely result in too thin of a oil film layer. Basically, up until 2017 there will not be diesel rated thinner oil without setting u back a small fortune (ie diesels are doing what car manuf started doing going to a real thin layer light viscosity to improve mileage). That's what I've seen and I have to go down to 5w-40 for winter (or heat that oil) or its like sludge in winter. There are quite a few JCB guys on here and should be able to chime in on what they have switched over to.