Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1CX – Skidsteer or TLB or both?

AusDave ยท 2008-11-11 08:13

Hi all. Have posted in the Tractor/Loader/Backhoe (TLB) section with my new secondhand JCB 1CX as pictured but it may be of more interest to this section of the forum. I spent some considerable time looking for a machine like this to replace a small 20hp TLB. While many see a good combo as a compact excavator plus a skidsteer loader, I was keen to see machinery purchases to be kept to a minimum as was my partner who could see the backyard becoming a machinery lot. With the 1CX I have the approximate equivalent of a 6000+lb/2900kg skidsteer and a 4400lb/2000kg mini excavator. Unlike a normal TLB, while seated in the rotating seat operating the backhoe, by pressing a button I can drive the machine, operate the front bucket and reposition the machine without turning around. The backhoe is also piped and I have a small rockbreaker which I will be using for concrete demolition. With a 4in1 bucket on the front I should have enough equipment I can control with my joy sticks to run a small scale productive side operation to my existing businesses However when you ask a guy how much equipment they need it's always just one more:yup Meanwhile I'm doing preventative maintenance on it as I don't know the past service history. All fluids will be changed, a new timing belt for the 50hp diesel motor, and some paint and TLC should make it ready for hard work. It has 2500 hours on the meter and all the pins and bushes at both ends are nice and tight so it will hopefully be working without any major problems for another few thousand hours. I've rarely seen these machines in use as they aren't common in Australia, they are pretty expensive new. I'd be interested to hear from anyone on this forum that has some experience with these machines. Regards AusDave

Replies2
  1. #1Sandhills-elect2008-11-11 09:08

    Looks like a good little machine. I think they would be handy as hell in small places. The only thing i don't like about the backhoe setup is those straight down outriggers instead of the fold out. They will get a little tippy in soft ground when on sinks and the othe does not. But that is the only thing i see that could give you trouble. Grease it with good grease and you are set. I use Schaeffer's and really like it for pins and bushing. Good luck Brent. PS always nice to bring home a machine, just puts a smile on a guys face.:drinkup

  2. #2AusDave2008-11-11 09:32

    1cx Hi Brent. The outriggers shouldn't be a problem because the machine has a lot lower centre of gravity than a standard TLB. The advantage of these outriggers is they allow the 1CX to have a side shift capability. I can move the hoe from one side of the machine to the other for digging flush to houses fences etc and stability. Saves repositioning the machine for a wide, square dig as well. Very handy feature compared to a centre mount backhoe Regards AusDave