Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 214s 4 wheels steer

Michel1 · 2024-11-19 19:28

The rear wheels of the backhoe don't lock anymore. If I select 2 wheels steer, 4 wheels steer or crawl , the wheels at the back goes out of lock and start to drift while I am driving. If I lift the machine off the ground, everything start to work properly. The 3 modes work perfectly, the wheels get align and are turning like they should. If I put back the machine on the ground without moving, the rear wheels don't turn as much as the front, they seem to struggle. What can cause this problem.

Replies6
  1. #1Michel12024-12-18 12:02

    If I select 2 wheels steer the rear wheels don't lock and when I select crawl or 4 wheels steer the rear wheels don't follow the front wheels. But when I lift the machine of the ground, everything work good. What can cause this problem.

  2. #2Vetech632024-12-18 16:20

    Steering cylinder seals leaking internally.

  3. #3Vetech632024-12-19 08:09

    Specifically the rear steer cylinder…..or one of 2 of the rear depending on how it’s set up.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2024-12-20 09:16

    I thought there was a rear steering lock and a magnet activated switch in the rear on them.

  5. #5Michel12025-03-15 11:21

    Your right there is a lock on the rear wheel, but it's on only when your on the 2 wheels steer. The lock work ok when I am on two wheel steer, I hear a little noise when the back wheels lock. But while the lock is on the wheels still don't stay straight after a while of driving. I am thinking that there is a problem with the seal in the cylinder.

  6. #6Michel12025-03-15 11:29

    Excuse me for not answering sooner, I thought after a month that know body will answer this question. Spring is coming, and I need to repair this problem on the backhoe. I think you right with the cylinder. That will make sense with the problem I am experiencing. I will uninstall the cylinder and change the seal. I will let you know what happen. Thanks a lot for your comments Have a good day Michel