New member here and needing some help. I acquired a Ford 555 backhoe in a trade and the individual that I got it from had it for many years, but it was originally owned by one of the county maintenance Kruse here in Texas. The county decided to paint the thing white and didn’t protect the decals and I can’t tell what this thing is. Can you guys help me figure out what year and model this is exactly? I started to dig out the stump and something blue underneath the operators chair and dumped a ton of hydraulic fluid. I’m hoping it’s just a hose.
Looks like a 555D possibly. Finding a serial number tag would be ideal.
The round holes in the radiator grill indicate it's most likely a 555 Special.
Tried a number of things (acetone, gentle scraping) to reveal the plate on fender and cowling. It's not looking good. Here are the decals on the right side fender in cab area:
Not heard of this type.
Unfortunately those pictures didn’t do anything for me. You should have one inside the cab somewhere that identifies the ROPS. The machine SN should be on the frame beside the starter or frame rail inside the engine cover.
Got it. I'll look there next
You may try the ol' charcoal rubbing technique also. Not sure if the number plate would be engraved but putting a piece of paper over it then rubbing a piece of charcoal or crayon or whatever over it may reveal something. Doesn't really look like it will but maybe worth a shot.
The 555 with a 14 foot backhoe on it is called a 555 Special. TractorData.com Ford 555 backhoe-loader tractor information www.tractordata.com
Still haven’t found any stampings or plates for a model number, but I did find this on the engine block
Your D6NN6015G engine is a 201 cubic inch that was used many thousands of agricultural and industrial tractors. Like Cosmaar1 suggested-- look on the frame by the starting motor for the serial number to be stamped there. Maybe.
You have a 555. I can see the serial plate in your picture. Located on fiberglass instrument cowl behind the loader on the left side. It's a rectangular foil serial plate running top to bottom. Not sure what you can salvage under that paint.
I don't think that the knowing the serial number is terribly important. The radiator grill indicates you have a 555. The next generation is the 555A and it has completely different grill on it. The CNH-NH online parts book does not use serial numbers for any of the 555's. Only the model designation. IMHO of course. New Holland Agriculture | 555 - 3 Cyl Tractor Loader Backhoe | MyCNH US Store www.mycnhstore.com
The online parts info is helpful but risky as some of the info is no longer accurate and whichever parts manual you use, you need your date of manufacture (which is on the serial plate). The hydraulics and transmission were upgraded during the production run of the 555 - 555B.
The label that’s on the instrument panel cowling I believe was just a service interval label but maybe I’m wrong? If that’s the only place to find the serial number and manufactured then I’m probably screwed. I’ll be back over at the property this weekend and will look around on the starter side of the engine a bit more. As it stands, I’m broke down. I’m hoping that I can get underneath the operators station and find what blew.
Copied and pasted from another website. It is part of an answer to the same question for the serial number location question. Look for a stamped number on a flat part near the starter on the transmission . Check Brake ; I don't see any provision to input a serial number in the parts book. Please direct me to where you see it. The link I posted should be for Lift's tractor. I am curious why you say the parts books are no longer accurate.
Well DUH ! I looked at the parts book and the serial number can be used to find the correct parts book.
Yes. All the numbers are stamped in the bell housing on a machined flat spot above the starter. They're also on a foil data plate (serial plate) on the left side of the fiberglass instrument cowl. Fiat had no interest in selling Ford parts so they took some shortcuts when the parts data was placed online creating discrepancies between the paper manuals and the online manuals.
Pull the rubber mat. You'll see that you can remove the cover over the loader valve which will help get a look at your problem, but you probably broke a line related to backhoe function.
Is this it?
And I found this right next to the starter on the transmission housing.
I found the issue. It’s one of the larger lines, either a supply or return line that goes to the backed valve assembly. It was rubbing on the frame at an x-brace and eventually rusted out the braided wire reinforcement to the point that the hydraulic pressure finally blew it out. Now I just need to figure out how the heck to get it out of there because it is tucked up in their deep.
The mystery is over. It was built April 28th, 1982. New Holland Construction | 555 - 3 Cyl Tractor Loader Backhoe | MyCNH US Store www.mycnhstore.com
Yay indeed! Ok so for a set of manuals (operation, parts, repair) any recommendations? I was on eBay and found some options but they are grouped with either 550 or 555 “A” or “B”, etc. Does it matter which one?
It has to be a good machine since it was built on my birthday. The Ford built 555's were very good machines and very productive too. In side by side trenching competitions with all the major players in TLB's the 555 out dug the others in both shallow and deep trenches. Operators switched between machines so no one had an advantage. I knew a guy who worked for the city for many years as a backhoe operator and he preferred Ford backhoes. One thing he didn't like on later model backhoes no matter what brand was curved windows. He said they distorted his view.
For a set of manuals (operation, parts, repair) any recommendations? I was on eBay and found some options but they are grouped with either 550 or 555 “A” or “B”, etc. Does it matter which one? Welder Dave...yes it is indeed a good date! Thanks for the history on the 555
I'd see if they are available through New Holland or CNH. Whoever took over the Ford backhoes. If not look for manuals that list your serial number range.
You have a late 555 so I'd look on eBay for a 555 manual. If a straight 555 manual isn't offered, then you'll have to go with one that covers the 550 - 555. For $100 you have a pretty good offering of all three manuals, operators, parts and shop. The A and B were built after your 555 so they have a few changes. The Parts manual will give you a date range for the correct part number for your machine. Operators. Shop. Parts.
The parts manual will give you the correct length for that hose. Probably ought to change both while you're in there.