Hi all, I have an old jcb 3c mk3, the fuel pump broke so i replaced with a part for the said machine but now the engine will start and idle but will not pick up any further revs from accelerator, it does pick up revs slightly if I pump the fuel pump by hand when running ? The last owner had said the engine was previously replaced with a reconditioned one so am now wondering if the engine is out of a different model jcb making me think the fuel pump is the wrong type ! I can only seeem to find the numbers 86K523 on the top front of the engine and wonder if the engine or machine can be identified from this ! Can anyone help with this or know if the cause is definately the manual fuel pump, Cheers.
When you say it broke, just what happened to the original fuel pump? Was engine running proper at the time it broke? Have you held the original pump and replacement pump side by side to insure the cam lever is bent in the same configuration?
The machine ran out of diesel and when I tried to remove the fuel pipe from pump to tank the top housing broke away on the fuel pump which is why I replaced it, The fuel pipe had become blocked from running out of fuel but has been cleaned, Problem I have is I simply assumed the new pump was fine as it fitted no problem so threw the old fuel pump away so now cant compare it to the new one !
Well, that does put you in a bit of a pickle. Since you can get engine to respond by operating manual lever on lift pump while engine running indicates you may have incorrect lift pump. Without having old lift pump to compare it to, hard to say for certain. You could try to order replacement pump from JCB dealer, but there would be a chance pump would be wrong if it had a different replacement engine than what the machine came with. You're probably going to have to identify that engine, find the engine numbers, and you could then order correct lift pump from and injection shop. I don't know what engine a 3C came fitted with, JCB used Perkins engines in many of there machines, but that number you posted doesn't look like a Perkins number.
Where would I find the engine numbers ? That number was the only one I could see on first looking, could it be hidden away somewhere !
No way I can say without know what brand engine it is. If it's a Perkins engine, there will be numbers stamped on the block in different locations depending on engine model. Can you post any pics of the engine? And are there any engine numbers on the machine ID plate?
Here are some pics I took of the engine
That looks like a Perkins engine. The number you show in pic is a casting number, not engine serial number. The serial number will be stamped into the block, not the head, typically on a ground flat spot, not a casted flat spot. It will start with two letters, PJ, RA, NK, etc, followed by other numbers/letters. Those first two letters in s/n are the engine type code. They stamped the s/n in different locations depending on engine, but one place to look is the top of block, just below where head meets block. With all the gunk and paint on an engine, sometimes it's not easy to find the s/n, and they aren't very large number/letter stamps either.
Thanks for that I will have a good luck for more numbers tomorrow to try to identify it !
Its a Leyland engine, thats what was fitted to the 3C by JCB! be sure that to check that the stop lever on the pump is back fully, how does it start? right away or turn over for a while?
Thanks for clarification cps, I wasn't for sure what that engine was, and have only seen less than a handful of Leyland diesel engines. The valve cover just didn't look right for Perkins, makes sense now.
Leland engine number is on the flat spot right rear corner of block.
Cheers BooDaa ! I looked all over engine but couldnt see it as Willie said due to old paint and gunk on engine, Checked the stop lever and it was 98% fully back (moved about 2mm) engine does not start first time as I have found a slight leak on injector pump so when machine is stood fuel drips out and air in to 2 fuel pipes from injector pump to fuel filter, re pumping fuel through solves this ! I did remove a pipe from fuel filter that leads to injector pump and when I turned the engine over a good spurge of diesel was being pumped through filter ? this has just confused me even more !
The problem could be it the pump in that the fuel shut off valve in the pump is shut closed (metering valve i think its called) in this case the pump needs removed and brought to a pump repair shop for this! i had about 3 pumps do this in the past year!
By pump I take it you mean the large pump that feeds the injectors and not the small fuel pump on the opposite side ! Is there anyway to be certain that is the problem !, it does make sense especially as the fuel was pumping through the filter well !
Yea the injector pump, Theres 2 bleed screws on the side of it (8mm Heads on them) one above the other, if you have fuel to both of these and none at the injector lines that would be how you would tell!
injector pump the big one feeding the injectors is the one you want