I have a new to me 2021 JCB 48z-1 mini-ex, SN 2890684. It started and ran fine when I brought it home and parked it 4 days ago. I tried to start it yesterday and it throws two codes when turning the key to position II. Then turning the key to position III does not send power to the starter like it should. The error codes that pop up on the digital screen are described as follows in my service manual: "MECU 1 - FAILED VIN pair" and "MECU 2 - FAILED VIN pair". The only thing that I did differently when I parked it was pulling out the battery isolater lever, which is JCB's easy way of disconnecting battery. Can anyone offer advice on what to check? Thank you!
If its anything similar to the 85Z-1 I had for a while, you popped a fuse for the ECM when you reinstalled the isolator and gave power back to the machine. If not that then id check the battery output. A weak battery doesn't provide enough current for the systems checks to complete and allow starting. Used machine with a weak battery wouldn't be a first.
Thanks for the advice. I did check all the fuses within the fuse block under the seat. All of them had continuity except for a 15 amp fuse for the power socket. I ran a quick load test on the battery. Tester indicated the battery is good but should be charged. Voltage checked at 12.2V. I assumed this would be enough power to allow start.
12.2V resting is low. Id get a fresh battery or if you have a 650 series or larger battery around id hook them together and try again.
I'll give it a try, thanks.
I wanted to give a follow-up resolution to the problem. I know I find it frustrating when someone doesn't take the time to explain how their issue was resolved. So I did charge the battery; but that did not resolve the throwing of error codes and or solve no power getting to the starter. I had a JCB technician out this morning. He quickly discovered that my machine has a LiveLink module, located behind the driver's seat. The LiveLink was still connected; although the subscription was likely allowed to expire long ago. Using his Servicemaster software he removed the Livelink from being recognized by the machines ECUs. He also physically disconnected the LiveLink module. The machine then started right up. His explanation was that the Livelink has been known to corrupt the canbus signals overtime, once the software subscription expires.