Hi there, Newcomer to the site, hi to all!! A question in regard to my 1988 white cab JCB 814 Super; the sliding boom recently will not lock in position, which makes digging very difficult! Any ideas on whats wrong, it worked fine up to last summer, I think the switch is working ok because if you look closely at the dash when you flick the switch to operate the sliding boom, it slightly dims the other dashboard lights, meaning that it is sending an electrical signal ok, could the problem be in the electric/hydraulic control valve, and where is this located? It it the valve up top , behind the cab, behind diesel filling cap? Any advice/help greatly apppreciated! Thanks.
Hi Trevor, I have got a workshop manual somewhere for the 814. If you look on the boom below the sliding piece you will see a hydraulic cylinder, get someone to see if the linkage is moving whilst you operate the switch. I have heard of people being too heavy handed when sliding the boom out, consquences being the bolts shearing off the rear stop block & the sliding part going through the lower boom & onto the floor, be careful. Will seek out the workshop manual & let you know. Ex tractor fan.
Thats great, thanks very much for that information, will give it a try and see how I get on, and let you know. Thanks again! Trevor.
Trevor, Found out the workshop manual tried to e-mail the pages scanned but to no avail, will ask my daughter when she is home, In the mean time please feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to help.Are you using it on the farm? We bought a JCB 805B in 1986, someone had welded flatbar on to the edge for the sliding part of the boom, would you believe, needless to say it would not slide, the wedge action of the powerslide ram bent the flatbar. We cut the whole boom bottom off the sliding boom and welded a new bottom in, no more trouble.Good luck. Ex tractor fan.
Hi there again, thanks for the reply, and for going to the trouble of rooting out the manual for me! Yes, I have the trusty 814 for my own use on the farm, here in the west of Ireland, a good machine for one's own use and virtually trouble free. I have it about 7 years now and it never failed to start, or do any task I put it to! The sliding boom is very handy to move in and out when digging. It does tend to track off to one side when moving forward or backward in the field, that problem has been in it since I bought it, but I have mastered the foot pedals and press one pedal down further than the other to keep it straight when tracking.
Hi Trevor, any luck with the powerslide? I dont know if you can see, but the way the clamp works is when the clamping is on the cylinder pushes out, this causes a linkage to move outwards towards the edge of the sides of the boom. The ends of the linkage are wedge shaped and this is what gives the clamp its incredible force. The solenoid valve which operates the ram is a small rexroth valve with one solenoid coil on it, I would think this valve would be bolted on to the steel plate rear of the cab in the hydraulic valves side of the machine. I have had problems with tracking in a straight line, I solved it by cleaning the muck out from underneath the track pedals. The pedals operate very small pintle valves so it takes very little debris to stop them working to their full extent. You woud not believe how hard this debris sets when it dries out I usuall scrape it off with a screw driver or pen knife, may be easier if you unbolt the pedals you will then see what I mean. Hope this helps, keep in touch. Ex tractor fan.
Hi there again, I had a look there at the solenid valve that you mentioned and located it, its held down by 3 cap screw bolts, a 3mm or 4mm allen key will loosen them, I will try unbolting it later this week and giving it a clean out, Im hoping that this valve might be stuck/clogged up with moisture and that may be my problem, hopefully! I know that theres power going to the valve, so a good clean out of it might do the trick! I actually tried a number of times with cleaning out from under the pedals but to no avail, Im thinking that there might be a weak track motor on one side....... Thanks for the advice, will let you know how I get on, Trevor.
Hi Trevor Had same problem with an 814 a while back, the problem was wear on boom clamp so when switched to lock position, the cylinder rod had not enough length to clamp the boom tight enough. I thought about taking out clamp to repair it but boom slide has to come off to do that. So I welded 6mm plates to both sides of clamp and it did the trick.
Hi Extractorfan. I'm Will and i was looking online for a 814 workshop manual and ended up here. Any chance u might email it to me. my 814 super is in need of some tlc. thank you.
Will, I have the book/s you might be after and I live at the other end of the M50 J1 they are for sale or would swap for anything CAT. tctractors
Hi recent 814s purchase as well. I could do with some info on the dash board switches and the button on the joysticks. I am also looking for manuals. Thanks Peter
Thats great. I don't have anything cat im sorry but if u email me with some details we can sort something out.thanks will c.
if i get the books i can scan and email them to you. will c
Thanks Will. It is all a bit rocking horse poo!
I too have a super 814, have been looking for user and workshop manuals for ages with no look. willing to pay anyone that can help with these Andy (north yorkshire)
I too have an 814 Super with no manual and a dash full of switches with no idea what they all do etc. etc. Might I ask anyone here that has a manual to allow me to get hold of it, scan it and make a PDF of the whole thing, return the manual to you and supply a copy of the PDF on disk too, and then supply anyone here that needs a copy with the PDF ? There seems to be enough owners looking for manuals to justify this effort. I have a professional copier to do the job and know how to do it too. I handle historic documents so am used to doing this type of thing. I'll do all this as I know this forum is going to be invaluable to us as we start to crawl over our 814 ! Anyone? )
Hi to all! I am a newcomer to the site and also a newcomer to a JCB 814 grey cab which I have just purchased recently. It has a few issues at the moment including power slide not working. I have been reading the forum and was wondering would anyone be able to help with a PDF of the manual? Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.
My friend has a jcb 820 and has been trying to get a workshop manual for some time now. Can anyone help us out or even point us in the right direction.
would anyone know where there is a jcb 814 super grey cab broken for parts??
Will C, copped the 2 service manuals off me that covered 812 through 820, but I dont think they are realy needed as the JCB early kit is fairly simple to work on, the power slide often fails through wear on the wedge plates not as most people think its hydraulic drama, they are very basic little swingers. tctractors
http://www.diggerdoctoruk.co.uk/index.php?webpage=used.html http://www.vicaryplant.co.uk/parts/dismantling/2/
sorry to annoy you, but are the manuals that Will c copied in pdf or paper? My friend has the same probs as JCB814, the digger seems to work fine although none of the switches effects how it performs. there is lots of solenoids on her, but the only one working is the one for the powerslide.
Bit of a Drama here, as Will C copped = bought the 2 manuals off me they were genuine JCB service books with all the switch info and full hydraulic test and re-build data covering all the 800 series excavator, Will C is a "Farm dweller" so he would be sort of active on his tractor at this time, the switch gear in the cabin is nothing like the Space Shuttle it only has a few buttons and bells, there is a swing lock switch, the powerslide switch, then a few to put on the candles, some of the coils (solenoids) are activated by the track control, then there is the safety lever powering a coil, swing lock doing the same, then the powerslide valve, some of these 800 series jobs had a De-Bogging valve fitted, I might sound thick but there is little to worry over under the side panel of 8## anything, tctractors
hi I am an agricultural mechanic based in Evesham in the midlands and have also found myself here whilst trying to find a workshop manual for a 814 super, we are trying to find information for the rebuild of the rotary coupling under the cab as the seals have failed in it, if anyone could help I would be more than willing to purchase books/documentation/digital media that would cover this repair, I am also prepared to travel with cash for books within a reasonable radius many thanks in advance if you can help Nick
Nick, if you pop into Partex (Pershore) I think John is still about some (the old owner) he/they will help you all you need, you might have spotted the fact that I go to bed in Upton upon Severn most nights, so if you get into trouble pm me as I am often around your Parish, well drove through it just this morning on route to Birds Long Marsden Scrap recycling to fettle a Volvo 2?0 swinger, a pig of a job swapping the Hydraulic oil Cooler, you dont need any service books or owt' to sort an 814 centre joint, ask for a seal kit and a print off showing the seal location, they will sort it no trouble. tctractors
hi thats much appreciated, I will give Partex a go, as someone who has only recently come to the agri-mechanic game (cars and fabricator before) its all still very new to me !
hi thats much appreciated, I will give Partex a go, as someone who has only recently come to the agri-mechanic game (cars and fabricator before) its all still very new to me !
Hi just bought an 814s. In quite good nick but these machines are new to me and the previous owner was elderly and wasn't able to show me. He had her from new and she is only showing 2000 hours. Can anyone tell me how to operate the power slide feature if it still works?? Thanks in advance.
There's a rocker switch, the same as the one that locks the king post on the old grey cab 3cx's. You rock the switch to unlock the clamps, then you pull/push the boom in or out using the dipper and bucket. If. It hasn't been moved in a year or two you'll need to get a bit brutal to shift it for a start. They could be pigs when new. Once it's moving, get a bit of moly grease on the slides and slide it full travel a couple of times. You will feel a thump when the clamps Unlock.
Was using her today and it was a switch at the bottom that unlocked it and it slide right away no bother! Cab heater is also working so now I just need to get a radio sorted! Thanks for the help. She has a button for jack hammer and is partly piped for one. Would this do for a quick hitch if I was to find one ?
Can anyone tell me the year from the serial number it is 203006?
Get on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintageJCB/ post here and there is a wealth of info
Probably not, IMO. A lot of hitches (cat, Miller) need constant pressure and your jack hammer circuit isn't constant. Also, the flow in the breaker circuit is monodirectional. I'd get a manually operated hitch, as if you're using a 814 you can't be in too much of a hurry. By the way, good news that the slide and heater work - sounds like you've got a decent hoss there. They were a handy machine in their day. Just be careful you don't drop the engine cover on your head, they're heavy and sharp.
Jcb 814 Super - advice needed Hi All New to this kind of forum, so sorry if posting this in the wrong way I'm a bit of a JCB Perkins fan, have a grey cab 3CX that I've worked with and on for years. Just got a white cab 814 super which is a bit of a project and needs a lot of tlc, already have the engine sorted and running nicely but have loads of hydraulic issues, hydraulic fluid leaking into slew gearbox from the slew motor, solenoid valves seized with dead coils plus of course the usual leaking rams, welded solid powerslide and even a nice kink in the boom. I really need to get my hands on a service manual and get a bit of advice on what you do for parts - I'm used to a 3cx, info, parts and manuals everywhere.......not quite the same with an 814...not that keen on using scrap solenoids and hoses but obviously scrap parts dead handy for everything else. Any advice or pointers on how to get a copy of the manual would be great... Thanks
hi looking for a workshop manual for a jcb 811 any help gratefully appreciated thanks