Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB Backhoe “Fuel Problem”

fortknox ยท 2009-09-03 13:51

I have a late 70's Diesel JCB 3D Backhoe that will start with starting fluid and then will not stay running and then die immediately. The last time I ran it, was about a week ago. I noticed a small fuel leak near the linkage. I tried removing the little part on the linkage where it was leaking, but it won't come out. (view last pic) Can anyone point me the right direction. Also what is a good way to troubleshoot the fuel system

Replies7
  1. #1bill onthehill2009-09-03 16:49

    Check the wire going to the injector pump for power with the switch on. I ran an old JCB and it liked to shutoff going down the road. Found a bad wire to fuel solenoid. Ripped a piece out of the headlight wire and fixed it with a leatherman along side of the road.

  2. #2speedbuff2009-09-03 17:48

    Hello fortknox I don't think the injector pump on this jcb has a solenoid try bleeding the fuel system with the 2 bleeder screws on the pump one facing out at the outside of the pump the other higher up n the inside (5/16 rench i think ) Repair kits are readily available for the pump from ebay it is a dpa pump by cav there are millions of these in service around the world even complete pumps are only 300- 400 bucks on ebay exchange the reaeal kits are less than 50 bucks let me know if you you need more help regards speedbuff

  3. #3lee2009-09-07 14:04

    hello fortknox the machine you have is a jcb3d111 with a leyland engine in the inj pump is a lucas rotary pump it befor going into depth the lift pump has a filter inside is this blocked with muck can cause fuel starvation may cause starting problems the linkage on top of the inj pump will have a seal in it this probabley needs changing if your still struggling google digger doctors uk they do jcb spares and can give you better advise

  4. #4fortknox2009-09-08 18:38

    Thanks guys for all the info. I greatly appreciate it. I pulled the injection pump and took it into a shop to test it. I guess some bearings are bad and a gear is stripped out. They quoted me $1,100 to rebuild it. I am going to take the ebay route like speedbuff said and just buy a refurbished one. One last question. I searched on ebay and found many diffrenent ones. Are most of these the same and universal or do I have to go by part # ? Thanks again!

  5. #5speedbuff2009-09-08 21:53

    contacted one of the guys selling reman pumps and get the numbers from yours then they will either send you an exchange pump or if neccesary rebuild yours parts for these a dirt cheap for injector pump standards

  6. #6fortknox2009-09-08 22:03

    Awesome. Thanks! I'll get the numbers tomorrow after I pick it up from the shop. Is it on ebay? If so what is there user name? or website.

  7. #7fortknox2009-09-09 22:21

    It's a CAV Here are the #'s DPA = 3342F260 DSA = 431 SER = R16885TW A67EI100/5/2330