Been looking for a used, but not abused,backhoe lately. I apparently have missed out on a Terex TX860 that is exactly what I want. But today I looked at a JCB Midi CX. At least, I think that is the name. 2007 model with just over 1000 hrs. and in seemingly good shape. Only main concern is it seems to bog down when under heavy hydraulic load, like loading from a pile or picking the rear of tractor up with boom cylinder. JCB dealer has it and says they will fix that and a couple small fuel leaks. Price is $29k. Tires are very good and has a 4 in 1 loader bucket. 50 hp Perkins and hydrostatic drive with removable backhoe and pto with 3 point lift arms. Anyone have knowledge of these or an opinion on way or the other? Thanks in advance.
Hi Ken, The Midi CX looks like a cool machine. I think they came out in 2007 but I've never seen one in the flesh. It would be ideal for a small property being a compact machine. I'm guessing the engine will be a 50hp Perkins 100 series which are good as far as I know. The main problem will be that they are likely to be a rare beast which means it will be difficult to buy aftermarket parts. I have a 1CX which is also rare (in Australia anyways) and having to buy genuine stuff from a JCB dealer is very expensive. There are heaps of 3CX machines around and getting parts for them is much easier and cheaper. Chris.
I had no idea it is so rare. It's similar to a JD 110, I think , except it was designed as a backhoe from the get go. Loader attachment is part of chassis and looks very impressive. Being rare will run price of parts up. JCB is discontinuing this machine due to the Tier 3 emissions specs, according to the guy at the dealer. I'm kinda leary of it now. $29k is hard for me to come up with just to have a major failure and can't get parts reasonably. Thanks for your input. Anyone else care to share thoughts about it?