I am looking for a backhoe to do some work around the house and I really like the look of the JCB Mini like this: http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/183715/Backhoe-Loader/JCB/Mini-CX-2/Used/Georgia?h=405,2167 But they are ~$13k for a 2WD and I can get a 4WD Case 580 for that price. For 90% of the stuff I need to do I would rather have the Mini but it bothers me to pay more for a smaller machine. Why are the smaller machines around the same price or more? This would be my first tractor. Are the Minis good units?
That machine was an 07 and it sold for $17,500. For a full size that price and year you would be paying another 20 at least I think.
The one I am looking at is $12,500 for 2005. But there are 4x4 580s around for $12,500 as well. The 580 has 5k hours though.
i look at it like this. first of all you're right the jcb is a slick looking machine. second if the machine fits the job you have to do a larger machine will be a hindrance. for instance when by barn cleaning tractor goes down on our family farm it take about 2 hours longer to clean with the skid steer. not because there is an difference in power or relative size, it's just that my little 485 international harvester suits the job at hand. If you're not looking to do alot of serious excavation the jcb will work famously. if on the other hand you want to dig a basement or something along those lines the 580 will expidite the process considerably. what do you want to do with the machine?
I want to use the machine to dig some footings, remove some concrete (it is junk so it should not be difficult to break), dig next to the house for concrete (no way a 580 would fit), and other misc jobs. I would also like to be able to move 3,800 lb concrete blocks but that is rare and definitely requires the 580.
get a the case backhoe instead
PM Sent!!