Hi all, A good friend of mine is soon selling me his trusty old Cat 416. The old machine has seen a lot of use and abuse but will suit me fine for what I plan to use it for (mostly some landscaping and property maintenance). It looks rough but it fires right up, all the glass is good, several cylinders leak and could use seals, and the tires are, well, okay. Here's the thing though, when he bought it the rear end was shot and he swapped in a rear end from a late 80's JCB. It worked out perfect, except he never bothered with brakes as he used it in and around his yard, mostly for snow clearing and lifting engines. The brakes on the rear end are outboard of course, as opposed to the Cat brakes. Anybody here have any experience or insight on hop I can get the JCB brakes operable on this unit? I assume a brake pedal/master cylinder setup from some donor machine would be first. Is it similar to hooking up regular brakes like in any old car or truck? I almost wouldn't bother with the brakes at all except where I intend to use it has a few hills, including the driveway, so brakes are a must. My friend used it in a level yard for years and never really needed brakes at all. Thanks in advance for any input.
No replies yet.