Hello all, first time poster here. I have a mid-80's JCB1400B backhoe with a leaking transmission cooler. This machine has the transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator (as opposed to the round cylinder style). Does anyone have any tips on: a. a good source for a replacement cooler b. how to remove the cooler (I've been told it will slide out forward with the front counterweight removed) c. removing the engine radiator (I have the cooler loosened up, but it appears to be somehow attached to the radiator and I am not able to pull them both out together). Also, are there are good sources for parts for this machine? Searching the internet for the above questions and information has been a total let down. Thank you in advance
I've got a 1550b so don't know how mine compare to yours. I'm guessing your cooler is what might look like a simple radiator? Mine has the two in the 'nose' of the machine. As I recall, there are a couple annoying bolts on the sides and either both at once or one at a time (I don't recall) slide in, then you snug down to replace, or loosen to remove. I wear my dirties when I'm doing this. I've had the nose apart several times and it's the messiest part of my machine. I finally took a pressure washer to it and now, it's much better. I "simply" got mine from JCB. It was something like 4-5 vertical "tubes" with fins attached. Fluid goes through the (call them 1-inch) tubes and the fins radiate the heat. I didn't have to remove any counterweight. I've got the weight that goes around the nose section and also have the (I'm told optional) weight that hangs underneith) Just took grill off and worked my way in. I don't even recall which unit is in front (oil or water) Just look on the sides for maybe 12-14mm bolt to loosen. I don't think you even have to remove them. I've always been a bit intrigued with people talking about how hard parts might be to obtain. Maybe I've had good luck (machine has needed little repair over 25 years) What it's needed, I've simply been able to contact a JCB dealer and ultimately, have it shipped. 20 years ago, the dipper stick cylinder needed new seals. I (very stupidly) took it to a heavy equipment dealer to have fixed. I got bent over..... was $1,200..... when I protested a bit, they "happily" dropped it to $900. I've never been back there for anything.... not even a valve stem cover. Decided I'm better off buying the tools if need be and try myself (I'm mechanically inclined and always like excuse to buy tools) You should be able to get this apart. Not tough, just have to wiggle it at the correct moment. I seem to recall it's tempermental....maybe more to put back as it has to be aligned for the bolts! I'll look to see if I have a PDF
Well.... my apologies. Looks like nothing related to cooling nor oil radiator is in the manual I have. I wonder if there is another engine manual where it might be. This has essentially nothing about even the engine. Feel free to reach out if you have some questions. Don't know that I'll be able to help but I've got a sister machine so that's closer than not!
Hey there Coytee, Apologize for the long delay in responding to your reply. Here is a follow-up / status update on my project in case it helps anyone else. The radiator style cooler was actually bolted and attached to the radiator. At sompoint, someone had removed the radiator and had it repaired. When it was reassembled to the radiator style transmission cooler, it was bolted together outside of the machine, then installed into the machine as an assembly. The way the bolts were re-installed outside of the machine made it impossible to get the bolts out as there was no room to remove. What I ended up doing was cutting the mounts of the original style cooler with a cut-off wheel (working through the front of the machine). I was then able to remove the cooler from the radiator and upon inspection it looked too damaged to chance having it repaired. I ended up finding a heavy duty hydraulic cooler (all aluminum) from Surplus Center that was close to the same size, with SAE-12 ports. I did have to customer make some simple angle brackets that bolted to where the original cooler mounted, then drilled and bolted the new cooler using the mounting holes it came with. All and all, I was into this repair about $350, which was much cheaper than I could find a replacement OEM cooler for. So far its held up just fine and for the first few hours running the machine around my property, I left the grill assembly off so I could periodically check that the cooler was not leaking and cooling properly. I did not take any pictures, but can provide the part number from Surplus Center if anyone is interested. Now I've run into some sudden starting issues, which I'll create a separate post on shortly. Thank you, Ryan