So I am servicing out my 310-B (early w/3 cyl. not 310B) and I only got about 8-9 gallons of fluid out pulling both drain plugs and both filter. So I start to go back and after dumping only 5 gal it was a little bit over full on the dipstick, after I started it it did of course go down as it filled the filters etc. Unlike most JD parts there is no part number on the stick. IF ANYONE out there has a JD310 could you please measure the dipstick. The part number is AT34291 (in parts book) and is different than the 310B or even the early 410 which I thought was the same machine with a 4 cylinder engine.
So, I am convinced I have the wrong dipstick, it shows full with only about 8 gallons added. Damn shame, I have been running this machine on less than half of its capacity for over 30 years! I am not sure why this did not click some time ago, to be honest I can only remember changing the filters 2 other times,. but I don't put a ton of hours on it and it leaks enough to change the fluid over time. I ended up putting around 17 gallons in it, it is supposed to hold 20 gal. but I assume that would be with the cylinders etc. dry so this will do until I get a correct dipstick. The parts manual shows two different sticks one referenced above and also the AT19830 "USE WHEN AT23308 HAS BEEN INSTALLED AS A REPLACEMENT PART" That is the transmission case so I have no idea if it has been replaced. I found a AT19830 online and it is MUCH shorter than the one I have, I have not found a picture of the AT34291
Damn it I missed the case filter (screen) I will wait until it gets low again on fluid and clean it, I did clean the one on my 350B and it really needed it!
I found pictures of both dipsticks, I have no clue how changing the transmission case could make such a BIG difference, the tube comes up through the floor so I again cannot imagine how they could be SOOO different. The one I have looks to be the AT34291 which would be the original part number, I did replace it when I bought the machine as it was missing and they just had a plug in the tube.
A serial number would probably help. Are you talking about the transmission, engine or hydraulic oil? It would help to know to avoid confusion.
I am sorry, I thought I answered this. ser# 63K the topic is trans. dipstick and the trans and hydraulic both draw from the transmission case so they are the same.
AT34291 subs to AT59085
Thanks, it looks like I have the AT34291 so I don't need one, I just do not think it is correct for my transmission. The parts book says it would be AT19830 if the transmission housing was replaced which is a much shorter dipstick. The reason I say this is because with the longer dipstick it shows over full with only 7 gallons of hydraulic fluid added after a drain and both filters. Over $200 for a dipstick is absolutely ridiculous
I think if you look at it under a microscope, you will see gold flake impregnated in the metal. LOL