I needed to repack my leaking front cylinders. These are my first repacks. Not too bad of a job..just took some wrench work. When repacking, remember to oil all packings with Hyd oil and when putting rods back into the cylinders, be sure the Chevron packing is facing in the proper direction so they push easier into the cylinder. Also, gotta have a strong breaker bar and heavy torque wrench. I have a great friend who took time out of his busy schedule to help me out. My front bucket pins and bushings were shot...he made me some new ones. Here are some pictures of new bushings, etc.
Round #2 pictures Here are some more pictures, couldn't fit them all on the first page Notice the cut O-ring on the gland, the internal wear ring was tough to get out without causing damage... The Chevron packing...you can see was worn out. I believe I had internal leakage in this cylinder...not surprised. Finally...new pins installed, all back together and ready for some work. I still have a few more bushings to change out...just a matter of time...not this year... Now I know I can repack any cylinder on this machine....just need to be sure I can get the foot pound torque on the big cylinders. I plan on lubricating the clevis knuckles externally since they lack grease fittings...go figure??
I have a 310B and I'm considering this very same thing; seals-pins-bushings. I'll keep checking back, thanks for the information.
Feel free to post any questions, I had a few myself on my first cylinder, had a former JD mechanic that I could ask.
Great pictures! How did you pull the rod out? Did you just push it out with the pump?
Thanks, I probably should have added more pictures on removing the snap ring...etc. On these older machines, they come apart quite easy. Unscrew the outside gland ring, I used a spanner wrench, you can use a flat punch and hammer to get that off...with a small block of wood, gently pound the gland back into the machine which will expose a snap ring...easy to remove. and then just pull....with the packing worn...the rod basically comes out pretty easily pulling by hand....might need a tap with the hammer with a wooden block on the clevis. I think if you used the pump...it would really make a bigger mess and the rod would come out like a projectile...:usa
A while back I was looking into this and found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yATv6T9_gI I found it to be really helpful as well.