Problem: Lost forward direction but now is stuck in reverse. While operating loader, forward was lost. At first there seemed to be a neutral spot and reverse now just reverse. Noticed fwd/rev lever movement felt unusual, like maybe more travel. Observations: Checked linkage to reverser and it moved with the lever. Manually moved the arm on reverser to extremes in both directions and still just reverse. Pulled on rod into reverser, in and out and noticed some movement. There was a shiny part showing, maybe 1/2" or so. Questions Is it possible that a pin or snap ring has come off inside? Can the cover be unbolted to allow access or does the entire reverser have to be removed? Are there any tests or checks I can do? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I haven't got to this yet and hoping to get some help, anyone?
Had a chance finally to get to this. I found the small approx 3/16" x 1" pin completely out and pulled it out of the body with a magnet. I couldnt get the tubes off so I moved the cover off enough to see what was going on. The gasket is shot so I need to replace it and of course the pin. I'd like to replace the gasket without removing the tubes if I can. I didn't want to just put in the pin since I wasnt sure what holds it in, maybe just drive it in. The blue screw driver is through the pin hole Questions: What holds the pin in? Should I probably get a new one? How much of the tubing do I need to remove IF I have to to remove/replace the gasket? Is there anything else to look for in there?
In regards to your pin questions. Is the old one a roll pin or a clevis pin ? Part of the problem may be that someone put the wrong kind of pin in it. A John Deere parts book will be the only way you will know for sure.
Probably a roll pin that worked loose? Did the bolts show any signs of having been removed before? I'd think the pin just didn't hold up after all these years and put in a new one long enough that it sticks out 1/8" on each end and "peen" the ends over with a center punch on one end and a hammer on the other, or use a channel locks to crush the ends. You don't have too much to lose by using RTV, either to coat the old gasket pieces, or remove the gasket and use it alone. Just don't get gobs inside that will break loose and plug something up.
Thanks for the replies. Its a solid pin and measures 3/16x7/8 like the parts book shows, no head on it, or hole for cotter pin. Had the machine for 6 years and i havnet had to open it up and couldnt really say if the bolts(Allen wrench heads) were off, they look origi al.Probably look at a new maybe longer pin and peen it as suggested, very tight access so I might have to crush ends a little with channel locks. Sounds like it's best just to leave the tube connected and use rtv. Probably do that.