Hi All, I had a leaking fuel lift pump on my 310C, so I finally got tired of leaking fuel all over (and fuel gauge decided to stop working). I went to local JD dealer and purchased new fuel pump (looked smaller than old one) with their assurance that it would fit perfectly. The removal/install wasn't too bad after I got some wobble extensions for socket wrench. When I put the old elbow fittings on the pump, naturally where they got tight they did NOT line up with the existing line direction. On the input line it was easy because I had installed a longer hose a while back, but on the output, it is a metal line to the filter. The output 90 fitting still had about a quarter or third of a turn to get seated properly. I used Permatex PTFE thread sealant on both, but by the time I was able to secure fixed line to filter, I had moved the elbow fitting it all over the place. So I just prayed it wouldn't leak, and let it sit for a while for sealant to cure before getting diesel in it. I haven't been back to see if it leaks, but it will eventually. See photo below... the output fitting is circled in red. So I'm looking for options to fix this permanently. One option is to rubber hose it to the filter, but that involves installing new fittings, getting a hose made, and it's not how it was designed. Another option I've read about, with mixed opinions, is to use diesel resistant teflon tape so that it tightens earlier (and hopefully at the needed orientation). What type of tape would be suitable, yellow or white? I could also buy a new 90 fitting and hope the thread starts at a different point than the old one, and hope it seats properly at the needed orientation. Thanks!
I use white t. tape.. THATS what I was going to suggest.. U could cut the line at a straight run and put a rubber hose with clamps between the cut lines.. Is it my imagination or is there no manual hand pump on that lift pump..??
Yes, that is another option... they're aluminum, right? I think I will try the white teflon tape first though... seems easier and I've used it a lot in house plumbing repairs And the hand lever is underneath, you just can't see it. Thanks pumpguysc
They do make a super thick Teflon tape that makes it easier to get fittings lined up.
NPT is a pain in situations like this. If you can't tighten it up more without risk of splitting the pump I'd probably use some tape on the threads.
Well today I put a few wraps of regular teflon tape and the fitting still had room to go, so I took it apart again and doubled up on the wraps, and put it back on. It still had a little room to go, but was snugger than before so I was tired of fooling with it and put it all back together. It seems to be dry but I'm not too convinced. At least I could put 5 gallons fuel in it without fear of it dripping all out. Coincidentally, my fuel gauge started working again... I guess it was leaking a lot more than I thought it was before. So got 1.5 things fixed today, so that is a win in my book. I will look for the heavier tape suggested by HarleyHappy (thanks!) for when it starts leaking again and also prepare a hose/fittings. That way it probably won't leak again.
This is the tape I use, it’s made close to me and they have a whole bunch of Teflon cool stuff. It’s about 4 times thicker than regular tape and has saved my ass on a few things. It’s spendy but a roll of each size has lasted me over 25 years. I actually just had to order more 1/4” and 3/8” as I was out.