I have a 310C that seems to be having issues with the transaxle (I assume). When I first start the machine it seems to hesitate engaging going forward but seems to go backward just fine. After I've run the machine a while (15 - 30 minutes) it seems to be much better but there's still some slight hesitation. In both cases it seems that I need to rev the RPMs up higher than normal to get it moving. Also, I live on a hill and when I drive downhill I need to keep the RPMs up in order for the machine not to get away from me. In other words, I can put it in first gear and drive slowly down the hill as long as I keep the RPMs high, but if I let off the gas to just idle speed the machine starts to run away from me as if I just shifted into neutral, even though the reverser is going forward and I'm in first gear. This just started happening within the last couple weeks and the only thing that I've done recently is add some hydraulic fluid to the reservoir because it was below the sight glass and I overfilled it a bit, so the level is slight above the sight glass. I don't remember for sure but it seems like this started about the same time. Perhaps it's just coincidence but I'm unsure how that could have caused the problem anyway. Anyway, I'm pretty capable at doing basic repairs but this one has me stumped. I'd appreciate any insight.
Check the oil level in the reverser with the directional control in neutral and the engine running. Swing open the highlited cover shown in screenshot below to locate the reverser dipstick
If you need a 310C Operators manual ,there is an option to download a free copy at the Deere Bookstore. https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/search?p0=search&p0_v=&p1=model&p1_v=310C&pattr=p0,p1 .
Thanks for the reply, Diesel Dave. I checked the reverser oil level and it was on the dipstick but definitely low. I previously checked it and it seemed OK but I assumed that you were supposed to checked it with the engine off (like the engine oil and transaxle oil), not with the engine running. I suppose I should invest in an Operators Manual. Before I fill it, would it make sense to remove the sump pan and check the filter? Just curious if that could also be part of the issue.
Good idea !
Dave... I'm assuming the torque converter and the reverser share the same oil supply. Is that correct? If I drain the reverser and drop the sump pan to check/clean the filter, will that also drain the torque converter? I'm guessing it has a separate drain but wanted to know for sure before I tear into it, and if it is separate, how do I access it. I'm flying a little blind without having a manual yet. So any advice you can offer on draining/changing that oil is appreciated. Thanks.
Servicing the reverser and torque converter. See 2 screenshots below from the 310C Operators manual.
Earlier I posted a link to the Deere bookstore to download a free copy of the Operators manual.
Thanks again, Dave. I went to that link previously but didn't see the option to download the manual the first time I looked at. I do see it now and was able to download the manual. Thank you. That will help tremendously. One last question.... hopefully. If getting the oil level correct and sump filter cleaned does not do the trick for me, what would you suggest for next steps. I'm guessing it's a reverser rebuild as I would assume the forward clutches might be shot. Any thoughts or advice on what I might consider next?
When you drain the reverser oil and remove the sump note for any debris/ metallic appearance, also if the oil smells burnt. I think a reverser pressure test ( especially forward ) would be good to do after all is said and done before tearing apart.
Got it. So what would a burnt oil smell indicate?