I have some chewed up teeth,, has any one changed the ring gear? whats involve? cab removal? etc
Don't need to remove cab but before you get too worried, how bad are the teeth? I once had a 410A Deere with the corners of the teeth chewed up and caused the starter to slip often. I went through the starter hole with a Dremel tool and fixed them up and the started never slipped again. But baybe yours are realy that bad?
If you need a new starter ring, you pull the engine or on a newer model like that, drop the reverser to get at the flywheel then have at it.
Once you get the flywheel off they are not too difficult to replace. First take a look and see if one side of the new teeth have any bevel on them. If it does that is the starter side. Most of them don't. Take a good look to see how far the old one is driven on the flywheel, most of them have a shoulder to prevent going too far.You can remove the old one or by just cutting it off or you can drive it off with a big chisel and a big hammer. Don't heat the new one with a torch of any kind. Heat it in an oven to 450°. You have to drive the new one on quite fast because the flywheel will transfer the heat from it and cause it to start binding. I have a short piece of railroad rail about 2 feet long and I can just drop it on a ring gear about 2 times and it is seated. Most importantly count the number of teeth on the old and new ringgear and make very certain they have the same number of teeth.
Finally got back and nice weather to look at machine, starter Number i think is ISKRA 11130679- any recommendation on a good brand for fair cost?
Okay, when are you going to post pictures of the worn teeth? Seriously change the starter drive gear or complete starter if you haven't already and go have lunch, those look like new to me. I've seen machines still starting more or less fine with half the length of several teeth ground away.
Lol , lantraxco! Some are down close to 1/4 inch in depth, I was looking for a drive drive but have not found any. I did come across a few starters ranging from 211.00-275.00, I was going to just replace starter , clean up some teeth and hope for best. Deere starter was 500 or so, had this one rebuilt a few years back , but 6 out of ten starting attempts this one just zings out no grind, was thinking the plunger maybe weak,
The drive clutch may be slipping?
1/4", really? only the second picture looks bad enough to try to clean up. It sure doesn't look like 1/4" FROM HERE. I've always used a file, but I suppose a dremel makes a lot of sense. You want to grind them back close to a flat face, so there's less of a rounded end to bounce the starter gear back. Any pics of the starter gear that inflicted all that damage? That's where the problem is because those poor little teeth are outnumbered 10-1.
Sure... The flywheel pic does not look bad as compared to looking with the eye. i will see if i can get a better pic, I most likely will just put a starter in. I found this , but how the quality!! http://www.amazon.com/STARTER-MOTOR-BACKHOE-LOADER-11-130-679/dp/B007A3VWIY
You may want to stay away from that starter on Amazon.com. Here is the BBC report on the vendor. -----> https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...HJwWOxfuLBiJIZZOFtpZFg&bvm=bv.117218890,d.eWE
Hi I would try a new starter, my 310A would grind I would say 1/2 the time I rebuild it myself all new parts still about the same thing. Had a starter shop go through it still same problem, now my ring gear is a lot more beat up then yours is by far. So what I did was to try one of those cheap starters off of Ebay I think I paid like 60.00 for it that was 7 or 8 years ago now and it works great. The starter in my 310A was a delco which looked correct but who knows I bought the machine used. Jeff
I don't know about the 3 cylinder engine but the 4 cylinder always stops a 2, 6 and 10 o'clock. So the teeth are only bad at 3 places. All the teeth need to have the same ramp shape as you see on the non-worn teeth. So you need to dremel the teeth to that shape and if you have a good starter with good teeth you will be fine.