Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310SG good bat, won’t start

Armymutt ยท 2020-07-08 20:10

My hoe has sat for about a month. I went out to start it tonight, and it won't start. The battery has 13+ Volts - I thought it might be bad, so I put it on the charger. When I turn the key to the first position, I hear a relay close, but no panel lights turn on - no self test, that sort of thing. I turned the key to start and heard another relay close, but nothing turns over. It's been sitting out in the rain, so I don't know if water got in anywhere. The previous owner didn't have it under any cover. The last time I ran it, it had some issues starting that were similar, but it went away after turning the key to off and then back on. I looked at the service manual and understand the starting theory of operation. What is not clear is where the rest of the systems get energized. Thoughts on where to start?

Replies6
  1. #1mitch5042020-07-08 22:48

    All connections, start at the battery posts and go from there.

  2. #2mg23612020-07-09 05:07

    Serial number? I agree with Mitch, I would first check all your cable connections at the battery and at the starter (+) and (-), block and frame (-). 1st solenoid click (key on) sounds like the accessory relay and the 2nd click (crank position) sounds like the starter relay.

  3. #3DMiller2020-07-09 07:58

    Sitting a month, outdoors? Likely rat(Mouse) squirrel or chipmunk damage as the little furry woodland friends seem to enjoy nibbling on wires.

  4. #4Armymutt2020-07-09 12:40

    Turned out to be the key switch. Cheap eBay one. Must have rusted inside or something. I ended up shorting it by accident and the panel came to life. Popped in my old switch with a worn out key hole and it started right up. Got one coming from a JD store. Thanks all.

  5. #5JL Sargent2020-07-09 14:41

    Glad you got it sorted out. I had the same symptoms, but it was the battery post clamps not tight enough.

  6. #6boone2020-07-09 15:15

    I had an issue where the panel lights would come on, but go out if I turned to start position. Turned out to be corrosion on the battery clamp.