Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 350G Fuel rail problems

kevman6 ยท 2022-09-19 21:48

I'm still trying to get this new 6090 engine to start. Field service came today and programed the ECU but still no start. Fuel timing is correct. Field service can't figure out why there is low pressure fuel that flows out the injector feed tubes when key is turned to the on position, with high pressure lines disconnected. If we blow air into any of the six injector feed tubes, air flows out freely through all other feed tubes. When I turn the key on, low pressure fuel flows through the low pressure return rail and into the head and back out the high pressure injector feed tubes. All injectors are correctly installed. I know I don't have all the terminology correct. Is there a check valve stuck somewhere in the low pressure return rail that would keep fuel from flowing through the internal excess fuel return? Field service is confused when it comes to the fuel system. I'm at a loss. Any help greatly appreciated. I know I probably confused everyone. 2012 JD 350 GLC ser#1FF350GXTCE808707

Replies22
  1. #1mg23612022-09-20 05:32

    Coming out through the feed tube or around the feed tube?

  2. #2kevman62022-09-20 07:53

    With the high pressure lines disconnected from the feed tubes, and key turned on, low pressure fuel flows out all the feed tubes through the center holes in them where high pressure would be going in the opposite direction when running. Is it supposed to do that for filling and purging air from the fuel lines and fuel common rail? All these lines would have to get their fuel from somewhere to bleed the air before starting the engine. Just not sure after field service said he thinks something is wrong, but not sure what.

  3. #3kevman62022-09-20 08:58

    I don't have any information on fuel flow, but would think that after bleeding and then cranking the engine over, the high pressure from the pump and common rail would overcome the low fuel pressure and reverse direction for firing of the injector. Then reduces pressure through the pressure reducing valves as the excess fuel returns to the low pressure rail and back to the tank. Just guessing. Maybe nothing going on abnormal at all. That would be to easy

  4. #4kevman62022-09-20 20:43

    Update I pulled all high pressure injector fuel supply tubes just to look for correct installation and possible damage to the mating surfaces. All was good there. I then pulled all six injectors and checked them for O ring damage and possible flow through to the excess fuel outlet and all the injectors are good and would not allow air to pass through them from the inlet to the outlet. Any suggestion as to what causes the problem would be appreciated. Just to clarify what we have... we have low pressure fuel flowing from the low pressure supply through the head and back out the 6 high pressure supply tubes when the key is turned on and high pressure lines are disconnected. And a no start situation on a properly timed new engine

  5. #5old timer2022-09-20 20:45

    Lets see if I can help, I have worked on a few of those. I don't envy you working on it. That is a tier 4 engine, you have an electric fuel (lift) pump feeding the gear driven high pressure pump. That supplies VERY high pressure fuel to the fuel rail and injectors. The ECU controls the timing to each of the 6 cylinders. When the machine is running the fuel in the rail is basically "static" the high pressure pump is maintaining the pressure as directed by the ECU. Once the fuel is past the high pressure pump there are only 2 paths, go out the injector or past the pressure relief valve (PRV) in the rail, this would set a code. IF you are getting "lift pump" pressure in the fuel rail I would suspect that the discharge valve in the High pressure pump has failed or the PRV has failed. I would re install all the lines you have removed, turn the key on and wait 2 minutes. This will sweep the air out of the filters. Then try and start, 20 seconds starting (yes, when you are in the seat that seems like a very long time), 3 minutes waiting. Try this a couple of times. If no start condition exists you have to get a tech out with a laptop (service advisor) he can monitor rail pressure and set-point. (can tell if the fuel system has a problem or an ECU/wiring issue) I hope this helps

  6. #6kevman62022-09-20 21:27

    It's certainly a direction to start. Tech has been out, but he says he is nor a fuel guy, and a little perplexed as to what we have going on. My plan tomorrow will be to do just that.. There are a few codes that came up when the tech was here. I will get them tomorrow and post them.

  7. #7kevman62022-09-20 21:54

    Also, field service tech said he had no high fuel rail pressure. He didn't bleed the system, but did have his laptop connected.

  8. #8mg23612022-09-21 05:02

    Fuel should not be coming out of the feed tubes. Another possibility is that the feed tubes were not seated correctly into the injectors on installation. There is a procedure for installing them. I believe the fuel leak is the underlying reason for the no start. On that fuel system there is 2 other paths for the low pressure fuel to get to the return rail in the head. It is through the air bleed orifice on the fuel filter head and the fuel bleed orifice on the dosing pump. For fuel to come out of the feed tubes it either has to travel through the injector or past the feed tube seat.

  9. #9kevman62022-09-21 16:33

    We reinstalled all parts, followed manual as to seating and torque of the feed tubes and then the injectors. Still no start. Still have low pressure fuel coming out of injectors 1,2,3,6. Injector 6 is new. Have codes 1569-31, 1209-07, and 4077-03

  10. #10mg23612022-09-22 05:21

    1209.07 - Exhaust manifold pressure invalid 4077.03 - Fuel Dosing Outlet Pressure Signal Out of Range High Neither of these will prevent start up, but both can affect running. No fuel coming out of 4 & 5?

  11. #11kevman62022-09-22 06:31

    No low pressure fuel coming out of 4,5 cyl connector tube in reverse direction when key is turned on. Those two cylinder connector tubes must have sealed properly. The other cylinders have low pressure fuel flowing back out the connector tubes in reverse direction. It appears the other connector tubes must not have sealed to prevent this.

  12. #12kevman62022-09-26 19:50

    I need to verify the part number on the old head for this unit. It is R531997 and RE545554 stamped on the old head. It turns out the new engine has a different head, part number R534758, and RE550968. The new head takes different injectors then the original engine. The old head has injectors with a shorter feed tube by 1/4 inch. The field service brought with him 6 new injectors for the excavator serial number. Those injectors match the old engine, but do not fit the new engine. The depth of the recess into the head for the feed tube is 1/4" deeper in the old head allowing the feed tube to seat into the injector. Field service tech was sharp enough to catch the difference with his micrometer. Now they are trying to figure what went wrong. Hopefully their mistake with the wrong head and they fix it. If anyone has info on the original head casting number it would help. We are not the original owners of this 2012 JD 350 GLC ser#1FF350GXTCE808707 Thanks in advance

  13. #13mg23612022-09-27 05:46

    Those numbers appear to be off the intake manifold/adapter plate and not the actual cylinder head. According to the parts page for your serial number (with the original engine), the head should be stamped with R525583.

  14. #14kevman62022-09-27 06:50

    I will recheck today

  15. #15kevman62022-09-27 10:47

    Old head number is R525583. The new head is the wrong one and now JD says they will need to verify all the parts that went into the new engine to see if they are correct. At least it's on them. I spent a week trying to find out if I did something wrong. I will update this when I see how JD takes care or the mistake.

  16. #16kevman62022-09-29 18:23

    John Deere is sending out field service to put the proper head on the engine. Sure makes me feel better knowing it wasn't a mistake that I made.

  17. #17kevman62022-10-15 14:35

    John Deere did a fine job so far They changed the head and have the engine running well. Field Service will be back on monday to finish up. We did a manual regen today and all codes cleared up except 4077-03.

  18. #18kevman62022-10-15 17:16

    Started the excavator back up, and the 4077-03 code is gone, however two of the previous codes came back. I now have codes 1569-31 and 1209-07. We did have the exhaust off on the shelf for a month. Any idea why it might have come back. I will check tomorrow for connection problems and put di-electric grease on the connections.

  19. #19kevman62022-10-18 16:32

    All codes cleared except we need an intake temp sensor. Got it on order. Had a code come and go for the Doser, but it must be working because it did a manual regen and it was a happy excavator. I hope all is over now Thank you John Deere field service.

  20. #20Jrcandcompany2024-02-23 10:24

    Hi, I think I'm having the same issue. I just rebuilt a 6090 for a 350G LC. The original head was also the R525583 on my motor. Just like yours. I'm also having low pressure fuel coming out the feed tubes. John Deere also sold me a new head bc the original was cracked. They sold me what the computer told them too. They are claiming it is right as of right now. The new part # is RE550427. I'm wondering if you have any of the contact info. for the people at Deere you dealt with so that I could talk with them to try to verify if I have the right or wrong head/feed tubes etc. Thanks.

  21. #21kevman62024-03-01 09:23

    The field rep was out of Grand Rapids Mi. Very sharp tech. There should be no low pressure flow back through the feed tubes. The depth of the tube seat is different for the two heads. Your old head was probably the deeper inset allowing the tube to crush fit with the injector. You will need to measure your old inset for the feed tube and compare it with the new head. I'm sure you will find them different. Keep us updated

  22. #22kevman62024-03-01 09:53

    Try AIS Grand Rapids Mi 616-538-2400 Field Service Nate Canfield Very sharp guy I'm sure he will remember the job Good luck