Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410B 1985 model hydraulic question

tractortom ยท 2014-02-22 11:27

Hello I have been browsing this site looking for answers to my questions so I dont appear too dumb. Recently ( 3 weks ago) bought a 410B jd TLB off of a guy that used it to dig water taps. Brought it home, tried to dig, the extend a hoe retracts s l o w l y not a lot of digging power with the back hoe either. Changed the hydrau;lic canister filter, but have no idea where to look for the hydraulic screen. Please if someone has a picture or diagram I would be thrilled. Thank you in advance for your help.

Replies7
  1. #1leisureexpress2014-02-22 15:47

    Others can probably help you with more specific information. In the meantime, John Deere is nice enough to publish parts diagrams of most all older models online on their site, here is a link to get you started (type 410B in the model search): http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

  2. #2tractortom2014-02-22 17:38

    thank you. I will look and hopefully find what I need. Again, thanks

  3. #3Delmer2014-02-22 17:46

    The screen should be a large hex plug on the bottom of the case where the oil supply to the charge pump comes out of. Sorry, I'm not familiar with that model specifically, but that's where to look. Are you familiar with how this system works? with a charge pump on front of the radial piston pump and closed center valves. Are the backhoe functions all slow and underpowered? Will it lift the wheels off the ground front and back? How about the steering, brakes, and front loader functions? Do you notice any jerkiness in the functions? (after the oil has warmed up a bit, not unusual to be jerky when real cold) Have you inspected the pump for obvious problems, or any evidence that it has been checked, messed with etc?

  4. #4tractortom2014-02-22 19:07

    the front bucket works great, outriggers lift tractor off ground. smooth operation brakes work well, good steering. The previous owner was not great on preventive maintenance, a lot of the zerk fittings were frozen. Just fixed a flat tire, noticed front bushing worn. Just another little thing to fix. I cannot thank you all enough for your help. Hopefully I will get the hydraulics working so this is a useful backhoe, not just a loader.

  5. #5Delmer2014-02-22 21:05

    So the loader works fine with speed and power to lift the front wheels off the ground. Can the BACKHOE lift the rear tires off the ground? And the backhoe operates smooth, but slow and weak? I got nothin. Do any of the backhoe or loader functions drift or settle noticably? Wouldn't hurt to let it idle 10 minutes and then see if any hydraulics have warmed up (indicating a leak), feel the pump, hoses, cylinders, filter housing, and valve bodies. Could also take the old filter apart to see if there's any bad news there.

  6. #6outbackrider2014-02-24 09:49

    I also couldn't figure out where the sump screen was....but then I did...hope this helps. The 310 and 410 are very similar machines, operationally... If everything is working except the hoe, I don't think this is your issue... Might be the priority valve, as it splits the feed between the steering and hoe use. Perhaps the valve is hanging up and not feeding the hoe as it should. Do some searching on the priority valve for these models. HeavyEquipmentForums

  7. #7Delmer2014-02-24 17:45

    The difference between 310 and 410 is the type of pump and hydraulic system, the 410 is a piston pump that uses closed center control valves and I believe the 310 is open center gear pump? The priority valve is one thing to look into more, but it turns off flow only to the loader if the pressure drops (so that you don't lose steering or brakes) but the backhoe still gets the same pressure. As far as the backhoe is concerned the priority valve is just a manifold, AFAIK.