Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410B and JD510B… good machines?

teberhard ยท 2011-03-24 11:30

Been trying to find a case 580E since most say thats one of the better machines in that year range but can't find any near me that are a reasonable price. I did find a JD 410B and a JD 510B for sub 10K. Any comments on these machines? Are they pretty solid? Are they easy to work on? How do they compare to the case 580's.

Replies8
  1. #1shopteacher 12011-03-24 15:02

    A local muncipality had a 410B and sold it at auction to a fella I know. He has been pleased with it. The only comment I have heard is used parts are not as readily available (he bent a cylinder) as the 310. I imagine the same is true for the 510B as well. I believe these machines are bigger and heavier than the 580's.

  2. #2Revicm2011-03-24 17:19

    Dad used to run 510's all the time until they stopped making them. After a lot of hours digging in rock we used to break the dippers on them and had to get them plated. Good machines otherwise but all we have bought are JD's since the early 70's late 60's after a chain broke on the swing of a Ford my grandfather had.

  3. #3teberhard2011-03-25 12:35

    I am seriously considering an 1984 410B 2wd open cab. The machine is in decent shape. Definitely shows a good amount of use but everything is pretty tight and runs well. Meter shows 1600 so I am pretty sure thats not accurate. They are asking 8500. I will be using it to dig my foundation, landscaping, and road maintenance. Will this make a good machine for me or should I keep looking?

  4. #4Revicm2011-03-25 15:55

    Sounds ok to me!

  5. #5Deon2011-03-25 19:03

    I have had a 410A. Sold it with 7500 hrs. It was still very strong and motor worked and sounded new. Of course it leaked a little here and there but thats it. Last June I bought a 310D 4x4 extendahoe. Needed some repair but like the 410A its still solid and motor sounds like new. This one has 8500 hrs. Much quieter in the cab and much more modern in features.

  6. #6rockdog2011-03-29 10:38

    I have a 83 410 B It's a good solid backhoe. As mentioned, I think they are heavier than a 580. I paid 11,500 for mine a few years ago and have had to do some repairs. But I'm glad I bought it. It is fairly easy to work on and has enough power after all these years to get the job done.

  7. #7BAD5oh2011-03-29 19:04

    Very first piece of equipment I learned to use was my grandfather's 1983 410B turbo he bought new. We finally sold it a few years ago due to lack of use. Always reliable and easy starting in winter. It was just a great machine and I wish I still had it. Only thing I wish it had was 4wd. Guy I worked for in 1997 had a 1983 410B twin to what I had but it did not have a turbo motor. I noticed a difference and did not care for it

  8. #8tuney4432011-03-30 07:47

    I bought my 510B bran new in '83,had it for 23 years,thousands of hours.It was an unbelievable work of engineering marvel--it never quit,tons of power.I gave her excellent PM and never had any major component go south on me.The only thing I didn't care for was the weak cylinder in the extendahoe,after a few times working on that,I just pinned it off,was way too much work to get too. Sold it for $14,500 a few years ago.