Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450 or 550

lobo ยท 2011-02-13 09:14

Wanting to buy my first dozer. Found a very nice 1999 450G with 2800 hrs. and new under carraige for 23k. I am mainly doing work for myself, lots of dirt to move and grading when done. Called a good friend last night who has equipment. He said if I want to move alot of dirt the 450 is too small. I should look for a 550 or cat D4H or D5C. He is probabley right but I can't see like with the 550 that 10 more hp and maybe 2000 lbs more weight would make that much difference. I also own a JD 310D backhoe and a 1971 Mack dump. I should not run into any hard ground or rock but thought I could use the backhoe to loosen things up if needed. I can operate anything but only have about 10 hrs on a dozer, so this is going to be a learning experience.

Replies16
  1. #1Jim Dandy2011-02-13 16:37

    I have a 650 G and I don't think of it as a dirt mover. In the clay we have around here I don't think of dozers as dirt movers. If you are cutting and pushing more than 150 feet or so load it with a trackhoe or whatever and haul it then spread it with the dozer. You can look up slot dozing which as I understand it is a technique that try to keep the dirt in front of the blade instead of falling out the side of the blade. If you are going to be moving the dozer alot to different sites maybe go with a smaller machine. If the dozer is going to stay on one big site then go with a JD 700 size or so. Everything I have said above applies to the smaller machines. I am sure D8's and above will move dirt productively. Also keep in mind that the hydrostatic machines are significantly more productive.

  2. #2lobo2011-02-13 21:24

    I will be pushing dirt off of a slip at the bottom of a hill onto a flat. The flat slops away from the hill. I guess I mean to say all down hill. Maximum push 300'. At another location 5 miles away, similar down hill to make a pile to load out with backhoe and dump truck. I will have to learn when it is faster to load dump truck than wear out dozer pushing dirt too far. I moved alot of dirt last summer from one location to the other with just my backhoe and dump. I could also buy an excavator for around 40k but then I can't afford to keep the hoe and would have to rent dozer for grading. Around here in these valleys we have good foot topsoil, 2nd foot brown dirt and a little rock, clay at around 3 feet. Why is the hydrastat more productive? Is it better power distribution to the tracks? Same guy has the 450g has a 2002 D4C XL, 6100 hrs, 6 cyl. hydrastat for 26,500. He said you would notice a difference but not that much. I like the low hrs. on 450g and it would probabley use less fuel. Time is not the biggest factor but there are only so many hrs in a day. Thanks

  3. #3norite2011-02-13 22:44

    I was told long ago either get a big dozer or a small one, it's hard to find work for midsize machines. The other dozer rule is using the biggest dozer possible that can efficiently do the job will result in the lowest cost per yard to move material. The 550 has a little more weight and hp than the 450 but uses the same final drives which is always the weakest point on a dozer. The 450 can push fill, grade and landscape. The 550, D4 and definitely the D5 is getting a little big for landscaping IMHO. Although the 450 is a trim dozer since you are pushing downhill you should be fine. Might be a good idea to rent the dozer to try it out before you decide to buy it.

  4. #4lobo2011-02-13 22:58

    Yes, renting is what I will do when my mind is made up. Sounds like you kind of favor the 450. I bought my backhoe from same guy that has the dozers. I asked if one weeks rental could be put towards payment if I kept it and he agreed. I don't know if that is standard procedure but he is very nice to deal with. Thanks

  5. #5Temu2011-02-14 19:45

    I think you will like the 450...pretty gutsy little tool, really. I just bought one a few months back with 3k hours (2000 model), but had to change the rails and sprockets myself...saved a few bucks. I am real happy with mine.

  6. #6lobo2011-02-14 20:18

    **** glad you are happy with your 450. Did you buy a 450G. I am close to pulling the trigger on the 450G. Good Luck with yours.

  7. #7Deereman2011-02-14 21:32

    Lobo a 2000 would be an H model.. A 450 and a 550 is a toss up. Theres really not much difference between the 4-5-650 physically. Thats why the 650 is so popular. A G to me is a little stronger then the h's and j's but not as fast. You can tune a h/j in to fine tune what you are doing.

  8. #8Temu2011-02-15 16:34

    Yep...450G, 6-way, sweeps, 5 hole ripper bar. I believe it may be a 1999 model that was sold in 2000. So far, VERY happy with it...hope you will be too! Actually, here she is...don't be fooled by the stupid title where I mispoke that it was a "B"! See what happens with no coffee? Hey...as good as an excuse as any! And again, thank you all for the help in changing those rails/sprockets! Glad y'all "made" me go with the SALT too! HeavyEquipmentForums

  9. #9Greg2011-02-15 16:46

    Go for a Cat.

  10. #10Blacksmoke072011-02-15 17:59

    IMO.. and many people ive worked with, JD makes a better small dozer than Cat. Ive worked with the 650 xl, g, and h, and compared to the D5 g, and xl ive also worked with the 650 is def. a better pusher. But the JD 700, 750... no comparison to a D6R, never worked with the XL or N but i assume there somewhat better also. IMO.

  11. #11Glen19782011-02-15 20:27

    I bought a 96 JD 550G LGP not long ago and I have been pretty impressed with the machine. Once you figure out what it will and wont do its pretty amazing. I was advised by mechanics and seller against the newer hydro models as there is just more to tear up and more electronics. He had both kind of machines for sale and was a really nice guy. He said for general farm work and making a little beer money that the G would be the way to go. I really like it.

  12. #12lobo2011-02-16 08:09

    I spent some time looking tractor over yesterday. The injection pump was damp looking with fuel and has leaked down block and onto frame. The rest of engine was clean. I could not tell where pump was leaking, very slight leak. Would need to clean off to find leak. New under carraige except bottom rollers about 50%, everything else done within last couple hundred hrs. There was a guy there who bought the Cat D4C. He was very sharp on dozers and showed me how to check all the pins, everything was very tight. He bought the Cat with hydrastat but told me that the drive motors can cost 6 to 7,000 each to replace. He said they are very durable just costly. The dealer is suppose to get back to me today with his best price.

  13. #13Glen19782011-02-16 10:50

    Cool man. Hell my pretty much brand new JD tractor has an injector pump that is always dirty (leaky somewhere). I have no idea on the drive motors I just listened to the mechanic and shyed away from the newer stuff.

  14. #14lobo2011-02-19 07:45

    450g was delivered yesterday afternoon. I will try to post a few pics when I get a chance. Right now I am walking out of the house to go run a dozer

  15. #15Glen19782011-02-19 10:04

    Ahh, well talk to you in a couple weeks......LOL!

  16. #16lobo2011-02-20 23:07

    She runs very good. Started up easy this morning at around 28 deg. I may need a water pump. Coolant light came on a couple of times. Light did not stay on just a flicker. At a certain rpm I can hear a chatter that sounds like water pump going bad. Besides trying to find a rebuilt one at a dealer who is good for parts for these tractors. I have a ? about steering pedals. This is a 450g with torque convertor. To make a turn I have to apply about 25 to 30 pounds pressure. She will spin on a dime if that much pressure is applied but I thought she would start a turn by just pushing down on pedal without actually engaging brake. It does not bother me to apply that much pressure as long as that is the way its suppose to be. Thanks again for everyones help.