I am trying to get my 544C John Deere loader working again. A few months ago it got very sluggish while using it for a project. I had to move some tree debris and it wouldn’t pull itself up a slight incline and I had to tow it back to the barn. Now, when it is in gear, it will move only a couple inches and then will not move anymore. The steering is also almost totally gone. I would estimate about 3% steering power. I have read tons of threads on here about issues with these moving. The “biscuit” seems to be in working condition and it has plenty of Hydraulic Fluid. Also, I replaced the clutch control switches above the clutch pedal and that didn’t seem to make a difference. I’m brand new on here and any help would be incredibly appreciated! Thanks, Eli
Welcome to HEF Eli ! Does the loader and bucket work OK? If not does the driveshaft entering the transmission stop turning?
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Yes the loader works fine
Transmission oil level good? You have gauges? The next step since you also lose steering is for transmission pressure checks. If you don't have it already you will need to get the service manual TM1228.
No gauges are working, it’s hasn’t been maintained for years. So I’m flying blind. But transmission pressure would make sense. All the gauges are fogged over so I cannot tell which gauge it is to replace. I’ll get the TM1228 though.