I have a 1987 JD 550B and it feels like the clutches are slipping when steering and under load. When pushing in 2nd the tracks will stop before the engine will decrease RPM. I have read some dozers have adjustment on the steering clutches is the problem in the steering clutches? I do not have any previous experience but it feels like there is to much slipping somewhere.
hello from the deep south , We have had a couple of these 550s they were a's but I think the basics are the same .the steering clutches are hydraulically activated ,this is to say that when you pull the lever it dumps the oil pressure to the clutch and pull a little further it starts applying the brake. try putting the blade against a tree or another machine .pull the lever just enough to dump the oil ,if each track will pull alone the, problem is the trans, if it is '' bless your heart''