Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 550G fuel gauge

dondiesel444 ยท 2013-05-18 13:17

my fuel gauge doesn't work, always says "full". not sure if its the gauge or the sending unit. I can see the sending unit on the side of the tank, but it's impossible to get too, looks like the seat, batteries, and battery box need to be removed at the very least. I was trying to wiggle the wires on it and one broke of, I think I broke it though as it was attached. there is no way to fix the wire w/o removing all the above mentioned, so what can I do to get the correct parts before I dismantle everything? or is there something else I am missing? thanks in advance!!

Replies1
  1. #1Delmer2013-05-20 09:12

    In GENERAL, sending units are a simple variable resistor that connects the gauge to the ground. If there are two wires at the sending unit, the other could be grounding the sending unit. If there are more than two wires, I'm lost. You have (and had before breaking the other wire) a loose connection, or broken wire, (most likely). If you have access to the gauge and wire you can test the resistance of the sending unit, and check the operation of the gauge by grounding it (gauge should read empty with the wire grounded). No way to know what's wrong without access to the sending unit.