Howdy, I am new to tracked tractors, and I am looking at a JD 440 Dozer for road and small brush work. The Dozer, after a test drive, had some things that I noticed, but I don't know how big a deal it is or how hard and costly it will be to fix. The first is the front of the tracks (more so on the left) looks like they are further out than the rear. If it was a tired vehicle, it would look like a front end alignment issue. The second thing that i noticed is the right side spring looks like it has a bow to it when compared to the left side. The third thing is that the dozer looks like it has some slack to the tracks, but I couldn't tell which looks more loose. The forth is about the steering. I know it's a fifty year old machine, but how do I know if the steering is going out? The dozer will turn left and right, but it feels like there is too much play in the steering levers. I have to pull a good ways back to get the turning started. The last thing seems minor and easy to fix, but I want to make sure. The throttle will move to full power but the lever keeps walking back down to a little more than half power. On an 8N Ford, it's the toothed plate that holds it's throttle in place. What holds the throttle in place for the dozer? I like the dozer. After running it, I didn't see any signs of fluid leaks. It might be a little too small for what I need, but it's small enough for me to move around with my trailer. Here's some pictures of what I am looking at. Thank you for any information.
No replies yet.