Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 624G transmission help needed

cheddarbob56 ยท 2025-11-19 09:17

Goodmorning - Long story here but I bought a JD 624G wheel loader with a bad transmission. The cab was removed, transmission removed and fully disassembled so we had a project going! It had sat this way for a couple of years the way it sounded. With the help of a local shop I found a used transmission that was supposed to be good and finally got that all installed. I got the loader running a couple of nights ago and so far loader/bucket functions seem to be working normally. The transmission was drained of oil so we filled it up, ran it a bit and shut it off and checked level, low on dipstick so topped it off again. I've done this a few times now, assuming oil is filling lines/cavities/valves etc.... My dash is blinking a transmission pressure light yet and last night I tried shifting into forward and reverse gears and nothing happens, it doesn't try to move at all. Is there a bleeding procedure I need to do since the transmission was completely drained? Do I need to check pressures somewhere with a gauge? Any help would be appreciated! I am "assuming" the used transmission I got was in good shape, they did provide a 45 day warranty on it but that's come and gone now unfortunately. Thanks all!

Replies5
  1. #1mg23612025-11-19 12:14

    There is no bleeding procedure. If you are checking the oil with the engine off, then the oil level is probably too low. It is to be checked with the engine idling. That transmission's capacity should be approximately 12 quarts. If 12 quarts are in it then pressure checks are in order.

  2. #2Bigbert2025-11-19 16:28

    As mg2361 stated keep engine idling when checking oil level. With engine off I'd guess oil level needs to be some cm above warm max. as some oil going back from cooler hoses and converter and all lubrication holes getting almost empty. ZF 4WG180?

  3. #3cheddarbob562025-11-19 16:31

    Actually ZF 4wg-150 (should have been a 180) but....... it's a long story

  4. #4Bigbert2025-11-19 16:37

    Get me your mail adress in a conversation. I'll get you a manual.

  5. #5cheddarbob562025-11-19 17:02

    [email protected] Thanks so much!!!