I have a 790 excavator, and the U/C is nearly wore out. Is there any way (besides feeling) to know if the pins and bushings have been turned? The pitch is getting close to the end of it's life. I didn't realize it till I threw a track off, but the adjustment is already at the end. We had a split the track to get it out of the machine, and my buddy stuck the master pin back in the track by hand (!). The pads seem to be in good shape, but the P&B may need replaced if they've been turned already. I can only measure with a tape measure, but it kinda looks like the rail might be getting to the end of the line as well. The sprockets are kinda pointy. Top rollers have just been replaced, I don't know about the bootom ones. Pads look good. If the P&B have been turned and the rail is getting small, should a guy just run it to destruction. Can a link be taken out, or is there not enough slack for that? I know this thing was made by Hitachi, is there a Hitachi with the same U/C? I only plan on geting a hundred or so hours per year. Rodney
If the bushings are wore thruogh they can't be turned. If the tracks are wore enough you can take a like out. What part of PA are you in? There is a good track shop near Ephrata the guys name is Harvey Zimmerman I have got real good prices from him as I am 4 hours away and it is still worth hauling the tracks to him. I can't find his number right now but if you are in the area he should not be to hard to find or you can PM me as I know I have it somewhere. He also has alot of used parts to patch things up for those kind of hours. Good luck
The bushings are not wore through. I initially thought that the U/C didn't look too bad, but then I got out the tape measure. I have been to Harvey, and had him do some work for me on a D6, and he was real resonable. I also think that JD used these tracks on a 200, not sure of which suffix. I have lots of time to figure out what to do, but I'm sorta leaning toward some used parts, or a simple P&B job, if the rail isn't wore out. Rodney
If the rails are not wore to bat you can trim the flanges in the rollers to keep them from hitting the bin bosses. I am sure Harvey has some used rails or enough parts to make it work. I am sure the rails are used on many other machines also some times dozers use the same rails just shorter. Make sure to put new sprokets on if you turn the pins and bushings in to keep everything in time.