Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Travel motor question?

Mathew ยท 2012-03-10 16:49

I had my travel motor fixed by john deere one year ago in Dec. It was leaking fluid down the sprocket. So I took the whole travel motor and final drive off. Took it to john deere to have them fix it. About five weeks later I get it back put it on and go drive it. Then I ckeck the final drive oil and when I pull the plug it has a lot of pressure on it. So I call the dealer and he says that is normal. Well is it? Now I notice oil coming out around my check plug on my final drive. Take the plug out and it is full of hydralic oil.What's up? The dealer said I need to check my return line to make sure it in not pinched and it is not. My question is that I do not have time to wait five or six weeks to get it fixed again. Is their anybody out their that does a exchange for something like this so you don't have to wait so long?

Replies14
  1. #1dodgeram228712012-03-10 16:55

    thats the noise seal on the motor,whats the hours on the machine, normaly you can buy a re build kit for the motor

  2. #2danc2012-03-10 17:58

    a few things will make the motor blow the low pressure seal, and presurize the final drive planetary box. brake seals failing within the motor or badly worn (slow?) motor where there is excessive leakage or a blocked case drain on the machine. It's important you make sure case drain line is clear or else when you fit a rebuilt/repaired unit and the exact same thing will happen again. Take off the case drain line at the motor, vent the hyd tank, put a low pressure airline on the pipe at motor seal with a rag listen for the air being vented into the hyd tank

  3. #3ddigger2012-03-10 18:18

    It sounds to me like your dealer did a faulty job resealing the drive motor, which is still letting hyd oil preasurize the final. I would fight it. Also check with thier used parts network for an exchange.

  4. #4Mathew2012-03-10 19:27

    It's been over a year so I don't know if I want to argue with the dealer. I did not know about the pressure vent line until I called the dealer and asked why the motor might be leaking and he said check that line. I wish he would of told me that when I put the rebuilt motor on a year ago. I am going to check that line first to see if it is pluged. But my luck it will be something wrong with the motor. I just wondering if their is anybody out their that I can get a rebuilt motor and drive all together that I can just put back in with not much down time. It seems like if I have anybody do any work on anything like a semi or whatever it takes them 4 weeks at least. Maybe I am asking to much and maybe it would be to expensive to get a rebuilt unit. Thanks for the input guys

  5. #5finaldrive2012-03-11 15:16

    Make and model of machine?

  6. #6KenAl2012-03-11 20:58

    Yes, need the make and model number of the machine as there are some specific things for different model machines to look at. Also, ALWAYS look at the other final drive. Have seen it time and time again, one case drain seal blowing out and pressurizing the final drive but since the case drain line is common to each side, the other seal gets blown out. Also for safety sake, it would be a good idea to test the Centre Joint, as the travel pressure can get into the case drain circuit if th bottom seal of the centre joint is gone.

  7. #7Mathew2012-03-11 22:06

    It's a hitachi 200LC sn 145-30603. The number on the drive motor is model HMGC 32AA and HMT 107CF-23A.

  8. #8Sunesis12012-03-12 11:18

    Your dealer may have not assembled your drive motor correctly. Sounds like your drive motor is leaking by internaly and the case drain pressure is to high causing oil to leak pat the lip seal.

  9. #9pipeline mech2012-03-12 14:12

    You should be able to purchase a reman for your machine if the dealer wont take care of it and you dont want to waste any time on it. I have purchased many remans especialy when we dont have time to waste waiting for parts.

  10. #10Mathew2012-03-12 18:30

    Today after it stopped raining I went out and pulled the return line off from the bottom of the machine where it swivels. Before the tea. I raised the one track up to see how much oil is coming out. It is about like a drinking fountain. Then I did the same to the other track and it was the same. So It looks like to me unless their is something that is plugged in the swivel the line is not plugged. Someone said that the oil should be coming out like a drinking fountain. Or the size of you little finger. Is that about right? I have not had any luck finding a remain. Finaldrives.com could not come up with anything as for a remain for me.

  11. #11pipeline mech2012-03-13 08:34

    Here is a number to call 608-837-5141 and ask for Carie in parts. She just got me a reman for a 200 JD had to pay a little extra on shipping came out of canada. She will find you one! Make sure you dont have any other problems!

  12. #12Mathew2012-03-13 09:13

    How do you test the centre joint? Can I just take the return line off that goes back into the tank and run both tracks to make sure that the oil is coming out the same? Before I took the line off under the machine this would take the line off on top of the machine.

  13. #13KenAl2012-03-13 11:30

    Back under the machine, take the drain line off at the tee. Let it drain into a bucket (do not plug!!). On the top side take both right hand OR both left hand hoses off. Plug just the hose ends and leave the fittings on the centre joint open. Take the drain hose off the top side of the joint and plug the hose. Now if you plugged both right hoses, you need to stall out your left track. I usually jam the corner of the bucket into the track but you can also put a piece of round stock in the sprocket. Make sure the oil is at operating temperature. Let someone run it stalled out full rpm and see if any oil comes out of the 2 fittings for the right track. A dribble is ok a fire hose no good. At the same time this is going on check to see if any oil is coming out of the drain fitting. Now do it forward and backward. Then put back the 2 main hoses and do the other side. If it fails on any test, don't go any further. You need to reseal the joint. You will need two -12 ORS plugs and one -6 JIC plug or -8. Going from memory.

  14. #14finaldrive2012-03-13 17:19

    I'll send you a private message. You didn't get to the correct division of our company. Sorry about that.