I've seen one on RDO's lot in Morehead Mn and a few vids on youtube and it got me to thinking ......now you and I both know thats dangerous .....but it seems to me for lite work with the speed and mobility it's going to reduce the number of dozers a comapny has to use and therefore operators. I would expect fewer mechanics too will be needed too. What's you thoughts? Rick
I think I would call it progress, anything that makes the company more efficient and allows them to be more productive will allow them to grow.... hence more jobs. I have seen small two man companies around here turn into companies with more than 50 employees in less than 3 years just because they were able to do more with less when they started out.
My first thought is that this is the kind of thinking that is killing jobs in america. Stay slow and inefficient so that you can preserve jobs and cost more? No wonder "made in america" stickers aren't even made there anymore.
I don't see it being that big of a problem. They're designed to do blade work and finishing work, but they are so big and narrow I cant see how it would be much better for slopes and smaller areas. it needs big open areas like a blade. Theres a guy here in town who thinks he's a hot shot, he went and bought a 764 high speed dozer with 300 hours on it. Tried using it to push slop and clay from the bottom of a flood pond expansion and he ended up having to rebuild the finals on it. It didn't seem much better than a 750J john deere. Just my thoughts on it, so enough with the America bashing
I'm not sure he ment it as bashing, but any ways that high speed dozer would work good going from job to job. What it could do once it got there still remanes to be seen. muzy
Now thats funny seeing as how whenever possible I buy local and American. I do not buy Chinese at all and if something I want isn't provided by an American manufacturer then I look for things from countries I admire, like Germany, but nothing from France or canada. And no I'm not against a better more efficient way of doing things. I was just wondering is this isn't going to in the long run cost jobs. Like the tractor, dozer, loader and skid steer replaced doing it by hand, therefore cutting the need for workers with shovels. Thats all I was asking. I think that new dozer from Deer is kinda cool. Nothing against it, just like I've nothing against big combines, huge 4X4 farm tractors but anything that requires less labor cost jobs. If something completes more work in less time with fewer pieces of equipemnt it cost jobs for someone, here, in Europe or in China. What I'm wondering here is how big that impact is going to be......are they going to become common? Or are companies going to pass up on that becasue it isn't going to push heavy stuff like a steel tracked machine. Rick
I agree. I saw a Deere 764 in operation, it was being used for fine grading, it does not replace a dozer for rough grading. I don't think it was any more or less productive than a grader.
Just my .02, but when I was doing crosstraining with the Army a few years back, the Army (as they have way more gear then the Marines) were starting to field the deere in question. I guess the phase out of mid '70's CAT D7E and G's. Anyways, while crosstraining, I asked a couple of the operators of these curious machines about them. The answer you ask, garbage. I got as far as operating one, not pushing anything, but as mentioned earlier, fine grading ONLY. A couple of the more experienced operators I talked to said that they tried slop, clay and hard pack, all of them harming the machine somehow or someway, Think I will stick to the old D7G the Marines taught me on (though we replaced that now with the Deere 850....dont like it) and a little Case 1150 for my fine work. IMHO Regards, YID
gentlemen, i sit on my hoe and watch 3 of them trimming all day long. for what they were designed for, trimming/finishing, they are AWESOME! my buddy is running one and was skeptical at first, as was i. now, he won't give it up for anything.
I say if you use the machine for it intended purpose it will work wonders. Like any machine if you ask it to do more and push it hard stuff will break. I would love to try out one for finish grading. they also have aux. hyd. out the back so you can use it for pulling implements. IMO it would be nice to have a machine you can find other uses for and not have it sit when you have nothing for it to do.
LOL M-uscles A-re R-equired I-ntelligencence N-ot E-xpected LOL My best time in the Army was with the Marine team teaching Armor tactics to new butter barOK Ok was just wondering if they were all they were as JD is claiming or if they were hype and if they were good what the impact would be. Rick
In the long run, I don't see them as having enough impact of the industry to create a loss of jobs that would be measurable. It's really a niche market machine. Where there are jobs it can do, and do well, it may thrive, but in reality, I don't see it having that much of an effect in the grand scheme of things. I think a building contractor who used entirely hand labour, and then buying a skid steer, would have more of a contribution to the unemployment line. While it may lessen the need for other machines, who's to say the operators of those other machines wouldn't just work on a different part of the project and allow the contractor to complete the job more quickly. Thereby allowing them to take on more work that they wouldn't have had time for before? Far fetched maybe, but I'm just throwing that out there as an example.
I certainly do not want to stretch the rules for this forum but- If anybody needs "Made in America" stickers that are made in America (or any other printing) then contact me. Printing pays for my dirt hobby. Thanks, Greg Greg Thomas Minuteman Press 198 Westridge Drive Danville, KY 40422-8933 859) 236-4655 phone 859) 236-5061 fax 859) 583-2383 cell [email protected] www.danville.minutemanpress.com
lol....that's awesome.....where does the ink and paper come from? Please say USA....
Vanson inks- headquartered in NY, NY- mixed in Illinois - no telling where some of the base materials come from International Paper- Headquartered in Memphis, TN - locations world wide as the name implies (for a few other products we do use imported paper some from Canada) Press from Germany- finisher from Holland- both bought through USA dealers. My partner, most employees and I share about the same genealogy- cross between a Redneck and Hillbilly- We are from Kentucky. We are about as close to being "Made in America" as possible. However, I do agree with you - whoever from where ever that can come up with the overall best equipment or supplies gets my business. This is so I can be the best source to my customers for their needs. I do clearly understand the difference between best and cheapest. I don't bet on a horse because I love it. I bet on it because I think it is the best on the track. I do dearly love the USA. Enough to realize we cannot depend on yesterday to be the best tomorrow. Enough to get out of bed every morning and give it my best shot. Also-I assure you that if I will personally do the occasional menial tasks that are required that any of my employees will do it- regardless of job title or ego. I would not do well dealing with unions. We do provide excellent pay and benefits to our employees. This business,particularly in this economy will not tolerate "average". Greg
One of our better ones...lol. Probably more along the lines of U - Uncle S - Sams M - Misguided C - Children Pays the bills though. YID