Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD210c backhoe questions “Full-power-shift reverser”

davejo ยท 2017-06-23 07:18

What is the proper operating technique for a shuttle shift machine? I'm used to a standard clutch and this thing seems herky jerky when trying to inch up on things. Takes lots of brake pressure to hold it in first gear. Any tips for smooth operation while loading stuff? I bought it as a parts only machine. Had to rebuild the reverser so I know how it works mechanically. I figure smooth operation would be easier on the machine as well.

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2017-06-23 11:24

    Not a lot of 210's around, can you explain what the system has besides the full power shift reverser? is there a torque converter? How is the throttle set?

  2. #2davejo2017-06-24 07:14

    I think the 210c is just the 5 ton 60 hp version of a regular Deere backhoe. Late 80s vintage, it has a torque converter and a borg warner velvet drive reverser just like the case 580c through k models. Throttle is a foot pedal like a car plus a lever for your right hand. Forward neutral reverse shifter on the dash and a 4 speed transaxle shifter on the floor. Theres a button for your left foot that disengages the shuttle when pressed down so its kind of like a clutch but without any feathering action. theres a button on the loader stick that disengages the shuttle but I'm not sure mine works properly. It seems like a bunch of these deeres and cases get abandoned/sold with "only goes in reverse" problems and I wonder if its operator mishandling.

  3. #3Delmer2017-06-24 23:59

    I'm not the best person to ask, but I'll give my opinion until somebody better comes along. Does it move in first gear forward or reverse at idle on flat gravel? I'll guess it shouldn't. Is the idle speed too high? wrong fluid in the torque converter? They're not made for inching up on anything, using the "clutch" won't be easy to feather. That doesn't surprise me. Grabby brakes don't help on an old machine. Supposedly they're designed to be shifted forward to reverse at full speed, but why wouldn't you use the foot throttle pedal and clutch pedal to release the engine and use the brakes to stop rather than the transmission. Then shift it and let the torque converter do the accelerating.