I replaced a faulty solenoid. Saved over $400 by buying it off Amazon. Code fault went away and 1sr gear works great. Now I cannot get 2nd or 4th to engage. Anyone else experiencing this? suggestions?
Machine serial number? Did you test the voltage out of the FNR? I would suspect a faulty FNR. FNR failures on those machines was quite common. You should be able to read the FNR outputs in the monitor when in the service mode. The solenoid next to the Y5 is Y4 (second from the right at the bottom). That one is used for 2nd and 4th.
Thanks for the return reply and suggestions. I will get after it and return an update.
Machine ser# is 1T0310JXTB0197692. And by the way, I can manipulate the gear shifter, forward then reverse, 1st then 2nd, forward then reverse etc.... then I get 2nd and 4th gears. Once I shift back to 1st, I lose 2nd and 4th again. Original problem I got a Y5 code. I took care of that. Now I do not get and faults. Only erratic gear engagement with 2nd and 4th. I will check Y4 connection and test solenoid
Test the FNR as well. Key on, press and hold the menu button until "SERVICE MENU" appears in the screen. Release the button. Scroll using the next button to DIAGNOSTICS. Press select. Scroll to TRANS, press select. Scroll to SHIFTER GEAR, press select. Now you can see if the proper gear selections are being received by the Flex Load Controller. 2 selections after SHIFTER GEAR is AUTO TEST SOLENOIDS. Press select. This will automatically test all of the solenoid circuits of the transmission. If there is an issue with a solenoid, it will tell you.
I ordered a Y4 replacement. Ran Shifter gear and Auto test solenoids diagnostics, all shows good. Cleared all codes. I will run the machine today to see if it "healed" itself overnight...LOL Thanks for your help and I will continue to report here for all to follow
OK guys, as promised, here the latest update....Replaced the Y4 solenoid. When I first tested, 2R, went right in. I thought...Ah ha that was it. But now it does the same thing....not engaging 2F, 2R until I manipulate the FNR, in and out, in and out. Then it engages 2F and 2R. I experience no slippage when it engages 2F or 2R. My thought is to swap around Y4 solenoid with another. My problem is I do not know if there is another solenoid that matches the Y4. Any help on this would be appreciated. I have a tough time believing it is a mechanical issue in the transmission due to the fact that when it engages, it works like a champ. It may be just a coincidence, but all my problems started after I changed oil and filter in the transmission, using Tractor Supply J20C spec compatible transmission oil. Any thoughts on that stuff? I did drop that oil out and went back to HY Gard but the issue are still present
Did you use an OEM filter? How many hours own the backhoe?
Stay with HyGard. This tells me there may be an issue with the FNR.
Yes OEM filter 3700 hours
Update on JD310J gear engagement issue. I have not had a chance to test for voltage to the solenoids. I can manipulate the FNR knob to eventually get engagement into 2nd and 4th gears. Seems to me, it is a power issue to the solenoids. I did open up the column to get to the FNR switch, but it is riveted together. So I knocked and stomped on it to see if there was a change (LOL), no change. Next step is a voltage test
Thought I would update to those interested regarding the erratic transmission engagement on my JD310J. It had been very frustrating not figuring out this issue. I used the tractor with not having 2nd and 4th gears work all the time. I was able to manipulate the FNR switch and eventually 2nd gear would engage. Then 2 weeks ago then finally......hopped up in the tractor to start a new project and the transmission Works like new! go figure. Its really not a good thing it started working out of the blue, it is difficult to Troubleshoot when all is well. I supposed I will be thankful all is well and I can get some work done.