JD350C Steering/Drive Problems Hi, I am apparently going thru a cleaning out the weakest links on my machine. So far I run it for a few hours and blow a hose, or find a loose hose clamp , etc. This last event, I had a hose come apart that goes to the oil cooler (reverser oil) underneath the radiator. Once I reconnected the hose, and topped off the fuild in reverser, all was normal again. Of course it was back in on my property on a wet muddy logging road I ran it for about 40 minutes just clearing out another old logging road (pushing off some old logs 6-10") and cleaning out overgrown brush, etc. Without any notice, I lost steering. No bang or noise associated with anything breaking. I can go back and forth but not steer. I have OK drive power straight and reverse. Left lever has no effect at all, right lever, starts to stop the right track, and drive bogs down. Reverser fluid dropped to low mark, so I top it off again, but no remedy there. Went back few days later, fluids are good, brake/steering linkages all look normal. What I have found is the machine only has power on right side. I have no braking or power on left side. When I pull the right steering lever, the left track vibrates and tightens up like it wants to go, but that is all it does. when I pull the left lever, I have no braking and the track moves freely while the right side powers up in either direction. Coupler? Something buggered up in the left drive? Or do I look a t something else in the left clutch/brake. The machine is back in the woods, so a tear down means getting it pulled out by another dozer. Any ideas? Here' some pics of my dozer. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3171573&l=13d11b4653&id=735242418 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3281423&l=13420d1f44&id=735242418 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3281424&l=e1f1b9e175&id=735242418 _________________ Mike Joyner 5239 Town Line Road, McGraw, New York 13101 [email protected] 607.753.8420 www.turkey-talk.com www.joyneroutdoormedia.com
I believe that there are service ports to check the pressures, right? Even without a manual you just need to make sure that the left side pressures are close to your right side. Left brake and or left clutch is where I would expect to find s problem. Personally, I am thinking you have a stuck spool valve in your steering. If something tore up in the final or anywhere else, you would have heard and fekt it. For you to park it okay and then start it with problems leads me to think spool valve.
Jd350c Hi MJ, I'm not dead sure,but I think the 350C have dry steering.(or was that up to the B series?) You have to pull the finals to get to the steering discs,etc. I won't give my opinion of JD350s,2010,etc....but you'll probably find it will bring trouble every week. Check out the Yesterday's Tractors Dozer forum....littered with early JD steering & engine issues. There's a site called JD Crawlers,or similar...you'll find a couple of experts over there. Good luck Jim
flashpuppy- THanks for the info. I will have to give that a look see. I lost left steering while using it but without a bang, grinding or other odd noises. I also had no braking on that side. When I came back later I realize that although the left track would move, it was without any drive. Would a stuck valve keep both braking and drive from happening? JimInOz- 350C has wet steering clutches. Understand on the every week thing. It is an older machine. I use it around our ranchett/farm (138 Acres. Just need to to finish another round of crusher run onthe driveaway next year, build another driveway (900 ft). Push snow if needed,and usual clean up of old logging roads/runoffs. Hopefully I can get more hours between any major setbacks. thanks Mike
Could be. I not speaking from JD experience, just general dozer knowledge. The brake and clutch could be on the same spool or or share pressure enough that they could lead to each other. If the clutch spool is stuck and blocking the flow, the brake spool may be dry as a result. Not sure what the hydraulic schematics look like on that.
Try Lavoy over at http://jdcrawlers.com . He seems to be the Doctor of old JD's. He has helped me out on my 1956 420c numerous times.:usa